Raiders of the lost scrap (box)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's a little project that i've completed with a few evenings work this week:

1792972144_9f43b6370f_o.jpg

This is part of a gift package for my grandad for xmas. It will hold an engraved lighter and have compartments for his loose tobacco and fag papers.

It's made from Walnut and Sycamore, splined mitre joints - hand cut, hence the slightly 'ropey' nature of the splines - next time, i'll do these on the router-table rather than free hand. I also chiseled a little bevel on each mitre for decoration, but in hindsight I think I preferred it square.

The lid is a simple lamination, I have shaped a finger pull on the lid - you can't see it to well in the photo, but this was simply roughed out on the bandsaw and cleaned up with rasps, spokeshave and fine grit paper. The finish is a couple of coats of blonde shellac. The bottom is cedar of lebanon rebated into routed grooves.

I can see why box making can become addictive, I already have plans ready for another 3 or 4 using various off-cuts from t' scrap bin.

HI Byron

I'm sure your grandad is going to be very pleased with his pressy. I quite like the ropey looking splines, maybe next time make them even more ropey,

regards

brian

Nice Box By............................what am I saying :lol: Is the lid just a drop on or is it hinged, it looks as though there is an indentation in the box so the lid an be lifted easily.

I was hoping to make a box this week using the incra jig, perhaps some double dovetails and or maybe double, double box joints, dont know yet, my head explodes everytime i think about it :lol:

Laters

"I also chiseled a little bevel on each mitre for decoration, but in hindsight I think I preferred it square."

I can see what you mean - why not round them off a touch so the bevels blend in?

BB - nice box. As you say the corners could be improved by making the slots using a jig on the table saw or alteratively you could make a jig so that the router (mojo back :D) can be used to cut a dovetail spline, which does look good on a box corner:

lsdkfj.jpg

This is a corner of SWIMBO's jewelry box made from koa that we got on hols a few years ago. Fwiw, I think it's very difficult to hand cut a good slot and fit a veneer into it - Rob

Very nice Byron - although I also agree that the corners would've probably looked better left square.

What about gluing up - did you try that string and v-block trick I mentioned? :wink:

Latest posts

Back