Racal Airstream Respirator spares?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith 66

Established Member
Reaction score
I have had one of these Racal Airstream powered respirators for many years, its a good bit of kit & a couple of years ago i rebuilt it & bought enough filters to see me out. However the fan motor has just conked out, has anyone replaced this with a viable alternative?
Only place i have found to get spares is Arco & they want £141 for a motor assembly, Ouch! I might even pay that but they are out of stock anyway.
Anyone have any ideas?

Don't suppose it's the same motor assembly as Racal's Airlite (a.k.a airshite within the company, apparently :( ). If it is then it's possible I have one that is functional.

I remember those my dad had one, motor assembly & housing is very different, thanks for the offer, im going to see if i can get the motor itself out & see if i can match it with something.

Got the motor out & its bearings are totally worn out, Too tiny to make new ones. It turns out to be a rather specialized motor known as a coreless or ironless motor which is a type of permanent magnet dc brushed motor, there are some numbers on it but a google search turns up nothing. Now trying to find something similar that will fit!

A bearing is a bearing, and bearings are cheap.
take them out, read the numbers off the side (or just measure inner outer and depth measurements. buy new, rebuild. Job done.

The bearings are tiny bushes & built into the case & are not removeable, shaft is only 1.5mm dia, Its not fixable otherwise i would!

Granted they are very small, but are they bearings? or bushes? even bushes can be replaced.
Logically they would be pressed into the alloy casing, so removal should be possible.
with a 150 quid alternative, you have nothing to lose by trying.

Back