quiz question 2, very very hard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor

Established Member
Reaction score
1. In a street there are five houses, painted five different colours.
2. In each house lives a person of different nationality
3. These five homeowners each drink a different kind of beverage, smoke different brand of cigarette and keep a different pet.

THE QUESTION: WHO OWNS THE FISH?

HINTS

1. The Brit lives in a red house.
2. The Swede keeps dogs as pets.
3. The Dane drinks tea.
4. The Green house is next to, and on the left of the White house.
5. The owner of the Green house drinks coffee.
6. The person who smokes B&H rears birds.
7. The owner of the Yellow house smokes Dunhill.
8. The man living in the centre house drinks milk.
9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
10. The man who smokes John Player lives next to the one who keeps cats.
11. The man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill.
12. The man who smokes Marlboro drinks beer.
13. The German smokes embassy.
14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
15. The man who smokes John player has a neighbour who drinks water

Good luck, the answer is on the net, so no cheating, or if you do, don't pretend you solved it.
This puzzle was created by Einstein and he reckoned only 1% of people could solve it.

My wife came back with this after a team bonding weekend, she is an air traffic controller as were the other 5, they could not solve it between them.................. I did it in about 3 hrs, I'm certainly not brighter than them, I just saw the logic to working it out.

Bloggy

Nice one, Doc, I'll enjoy the challenge. Thank you for posting.

(If I have another night like last night, bed at 10.45, awake at 12.20., still awake at 3.20 so go and talk to DaveR, still awake at 4.45, next thinng it's 9.45 and half the morning's gone :( I'll let you know in the morning.)

Cheers
Steve

My wife came back with this after a team bonding weekend, she is an air traffic controller as were the other 5, they could not solve it between them.................. I did it in about 3 hrs, I'm certainly not brighter than them, I just saw the logic to working it out.

Bloggy

5 air traffic controllers and not one of them with a phone with web access :lol:

big soft moose":21af9nfy said:

Bloggy

5 air traffic controllers and not one of them with a phone with web access :lol:

5 +1 = 6........ moose, the quiz may be tooo tricky.

I was almost totally thrown when it turned out the Brit was supposed to like milk and not tea, but persevered and also believe it to be the German. If necessary I can show my workings. :wink: :lol:

Not exactly a spreadsheet - I find it easier with visuals. Of course I might have been a bit quicker if I hadn't had to go hunting for the pictures... :oops: Anyway, better have it as a link so anyone wishing to have a go needn't have it spoilt. Assuming I've got it right.

not that hard, but i did need to make a "computer" to do it. 30 minutes to make the components and 4 minutes programming.

result: the german

full result:

norwiegen/green/dunhill/water/cats
dane/blue/john player/tea/horses
brit/red/b&h/milk/birds
german/green/embassy/coffee/fish
sweede/white/marlboro/beer/dog

Almost blitzed my sanity and my whisky supply, plus the dog wanting to go out for w***, spoiling concentration but giving me a break.

Also agree its the Germans giving us a problem again.

Les

and before anyone says.....no i did not read alfs answer first.

interesting to note... skilled labour does better than air traffic controllers.

jeffinfrance":28vabwr3 said:
and before anyone says.....no i did not read alfs answer first.

interesting to note... skilled labour does better than air traffic controllers.

If you'd read alfs answer then you would have realised that you'd made a mistake (you've got 2 green houses) although you managed to get the right answer :wink:

I only saw that some people had beaten me to it when I came to post my answer - It took me about 40 mins on a bit of paper with a pencil

Steve

les chicken":1gtq826h said:
Almost blitzed my sanity and my whisky supply, plus the dog wanting to go out for w***, spoiling concentration but giving me a break.

Les

the dog wanted to go out for a what????

i got it down as the german, can also show my workings if need be.

i like these doc, keep em' coming

Nice one bob.

1 - norweigan, yellow, dunhill, water, cat

2 - dane, blue, jp, tea, horses

3 - brit, red, b&h, milk, birds

4 - german, green, embassy, coffee, fish

5 - swede, white, marlborough, beer, dogs

No cheating - i'll keep my workings as proof!

Took about an hour to work through (and a couple of beers!)

Cheers

Karl

Code:
House Nos.      1               2               3               4               5
Colours         yellow          blue            red             green           white
Nationality	  Norwegian       Danish          British         German          Swedish
Drink           water           tea             milk            coffee          beer
Smoke           Dunhill         Players         B+H             Embassy         Marlboro
Pet             cats            horses          birds           fish            dogs

Phew!

Had trouble with the Germans and Swedes (ever thus!)

mark270981":2xb2ebi2 said:
les chicken":2xb2ebi2 said:

Les

the dog wanted to go out for a what?

Well, according to the question, a Marlboro!

Did enjoy that - got any more?

Well done fellas

In fairness they did get given the problem at the top of Mount Snowdon in November. No paper no pencils. Just 6 brains.

This was at least 10 years ago, the only way I could do it was with post it notes, moving them around on a board.

To those that solved it, congratulations your in the top percentile (is that a word).

Back