Quick Veritas Medium Shoulder Plane question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello again,

I apologize for the bombardment of questions these last couple of days but I am right on the verge of making a shoulder plane purchaseand I just have one more question. I had been planning on purchasing a LV Bullnose plane but after researching them and reading reviews it seems that th ecommon thought of many owners is that although it is a nice quality plane, they just don't have a whole lot of use for it. The one thing that appeals to me about the Veritas Bullmose plane is that it can be converted to a chisel plane. Which leads me to my question.

Can the front adjustable toe of the Medium Shoulder plane be removed to to allow the plane to somewhat act as a chisel plane as well?

I realize that there would only a limited amounyt of clearance obove th ecutter due to th erest of th eplane body but for what I need to do with it I think there would be plenty of clearance room.

Thanks for your help.

Kevin

Just tried it and yes it can. Just undo the top machine screw and the toe drops off.

Marcus

Kevin in Keswick":1gfw1q7k said:
The one thing that appeals to me about the Veritas Bullmose plane is that it can be converted to a chisel plane.

Do you need a chisel plane? I suspect not...

BugBear

Although they are in the "nice to have" category if you ever need to adjust a stopped rebate once the frame is glued up....

For that matter does one really need a shoulder plane, or many of the other myriad tools we like to saddle ourselves with? At boatbuilding college I was taught to do accurate joinery using little more than a saw and a few chisels (boatbuilders don't have much money for tools you see... ). It's pretty quick once one gets in the way of it. Having said that I wouldn't be without my shoulder plane now that I have one....

I remember reading (correct me if I'm wrong!) that the only planes Sidney Barnsley owned were a block and a jointer, with which he did everything - and without any machines at all. Those hay-rake tables look pretty nifty to me in spite of that...

Marcus

marcus":nb6pplrw said:

Although they are in the "nice to have" category if you ever need to adjust a stopped rebate once the frame is glued up....

Most of the uses I've ever seen mentioned for a chisel plane can be well addressed by a (much cheaper!) cranked paring chisel.

BugBear

That's true, but in adjusting the above mentioned rebates it is nice to have the plane to reference off the side of the rebate and help keep things square. Not essential by any means - but nice.... I have the veritas bullnose which as a bonus converts into a chisel plane, and therefore I sometimes use it in that mode. But you're right, one can manage quite well without, and I wouldn't personally spend money on a dedicated chisel plane...

Marcus

Back