Axminster Rider Shoulder Plane or Veritas Shoulder Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got the two larger Veritas planes. They're both great and I really enjoy using them but the large one is a big lump, frankly too big for most things. I'd give it a miss unless you're cutting big tenons that need it.

I had a Rider shoulder plane it was RUBBISH, sent it back and got a refund from Axminister tools. then i went with Workshop Heaven QS shoulder plane, great piece of kit, amazing quality... now I have three different sizes. 100% recommended.

I would go to the store and try them out:

1. Quality of the Rider castings is a lottery so best to view before buying
2. Feel in the hand is also important and depending on how big your hands are it may not be right
3. Having a wider, heavier and flexible plane may be the thing which you need to tryout

I settled on a Axminster Rider 311 (3-in-1 plane). My first Rider was a No. 92 shoulder plane. I had it replaced because the casting was off centre and it didn't look right (to me) and the replacement didn't feel right so it was returned for a Rider 311. This had a defect in the casting that was on the machined face between the plane and the extension - returned for a replacement that was similarly disfigured. The third one was OK.

IMHO the Rider 311 is a good idea because (as the name suggests) it can tidy up shoulders and also the face of tenons. It can be used as a chisel plane and also as a bull nose plane (I've not used it in these two modes). It's also appreciably wider and heavier than No. 92 and (for me) feels better in the hand. It has been commented on that 1 1/4" is a good width - this is 1 1/8" and the No 92 is (only) 3/4".

I regret not "owning" the Rider 311 first - it's often out of stock so a No 92. seemed a good idea... Visiting the store and not relying on mail-order would have been the solution with hindsight. Axminster seem to make a few available every few days. I think they take the Soba and burn the Rider mark on it, put it in a fancy box and make it available... some features I like are the blade (good and cheap to replace) the mechanism (only tighten it sufficient to maintain the blade as this type of design is hinged and presses down hard on a thin part of the casting by design) and the overall machining of the castings (all square and true - such is CNC setups). I definitely wouldn't think of it as a cheap product but its incredibly useful. Faithfull also make a plane with open sides - perhaps too big (under-utilised) for handy little jobs but also not expensive - I didn't get one because I thought 311 will (eventually) have other uses.

Of course, the money used for the box it comes in would be better deployed in checking it over before "wafting it" in the direction of customers... excitement (before you open it) disappointment (afterwards) rinse and repeat until your patience wears thin (or you get lucky). Of course not everyone has the budget for Lie Nielsen or Veritas. It's a curious thing when you use it and it does the job very well.

SOBA also make available the Axminster 3-Way Unigrip Vertical/Horizontal Drill Vice - I have the smallest one and I like it. It's been commented on as being "made by an engineer for an engineer" so the idea (design) is a good one. Similarly it's best to try one out in the store before committing to the right size e.g. balanced to the size of drill press table.

Back