Quick question on panelling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's the best way to do wall panelling

• Assemble the whole thing first, then put on the wall as one

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Assemble the individual parts on the wall one by one

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

Mjward

Established Member
Reaction score
About to start my 4th room of panelling and up to now have made up the 4 sides of the panel rectangle, attached to each other with mitre fast, then fit the whole thing as one unit to the wall.

However, I've seen a handful of videos where the panel is assembled on the wall, ie bottom piece put in, then the sides, then the top.

Is this easier/quicker/better or have I been doing it the right way?

Both methods have there place, look at @Doug71 's wall paneling to get some ideas. If a wall is not flat then it can be easier to assemble as you go along to accomodate the wall discrepancies.

I have done both ways, depends on the situation really.

I like to fasten them to the wall in one piece like a picture frame when possible but sometimes if they are for example bigger panels it can be easier to do them as separate pieces.

About to start my 4th room of panelling and up to now have made up the 4 sides of the panel rectangle, attached to each other with mitre fast, then fit the whole thing as one unit to the wall.

However, I've seen a handful of videos where the panel is assembled on the wall, ie bottom piece put in, then the sides, then the top.

Is this easier/quicker/better or have I been doing it the right way?
Do you have any pictures of the rooms you have already done? Different designs or materials lead to different techniques.

Cheers Peter

Ah ok, well thats good to know both work and I think I'll take your tip Doug and assemble on the wall for the bigger panel as they were a slight struggle to simultaneously hold up and nail in.

Peter, please find pictures below, master bedroom went in first (ignore the wonky fireplace!) and went for a thicker style. For my daughter's bedroom went thinner and will be using the same wood for my sons bedroom I'm currently on

Master:

1000015476.jpg

Daughters:

1000015477.jpg

Sons (work in progress)

1000015478.jpg

Ah ok, well thats good to know both work and I think I'll take your tip Doug and assemble on the wall for the bigger panel as they were a slight struggle to simultaneously hold up and nail in.

Peter, please find pictures below, master bedroom went in first (ignore the wonky fireplace!) and went for a thicker style. For my daughter's bedroom went thinner and will be using the same wood for my sons bedroom I'm currently on

Master:

View attachment 174615

Daughters:

View attachment 174616

Sons (work in progress)

View attachment 174617
Nice work!
Your not from East Morton on the hill up to the otley road? 🤔

How did you create the partial ceiling to hold the lights? I'm intrigued and might use that. Looks great, very stylish rooms.
That type of ceiling has a name but cannot think of it, so name that ceiling type please. I was thinking recessed, partially recessed, centre recessed but I know I am off track.

The name eluded me for a while, was googling exactly that, recessed, then got warmer with dropped ceiling before "tray ceiling" was the winner. Slight deviation from initial sketch but basic principle in place: batons secured into the joists and into wall. Kept the weight down with 2x2 (and I've seen them with smaller but didn't fancy that).

I didn't do it but it's a fairly easy plastering job as you're dealing with fresh and straight plasterboard on relatively small runs

16JPN-2rybgv4ccm7uurnopubpckrn.jpg
qpRAu-vk2mshs6ylftq6bqd7dwivy4.jpg
C3AdI-eklcnqo7uiwmcvznl2aafkwu.jpg
YiReC-hlkxo66e5q5zkqsbxqfslzxd.jpg
gp1YO-snrc3sfez3vurttbq7ah4mod.jpg
1hibJ-2zkjkzs2amzerczmls427egu.jpg

How did you create the partial ceiling to hold the lights? I'm intrigued and might use that. Looks great, very stylish rooms.
Meant to say, served a double purpose of enabling the softer LED strip to work as up lighters and to bring the 3m ceiling down a tad to make it less cavernous in a bed room (whilst keeping the height for the main pendant)

Another bedroom out the way, getting the hang of it now although still a few errors/learning experiences.

Most notably one cabinet sensor refused to register the wardrobe door as closed when it was fully closed/touching the sensor so thankfully the Blum hinges gave me enough adjustment to pry a gap.

*Just noticed the 0.6x lens is making some of the panelling look slightly wonky but I can assure you it's all straight 😂

20240214_102858.jpg
20240214_102904.jpg
20240214_102909.jpg
20240214_102914.jpg
20240214_102949.jpg

Back