Quick hello from a novice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougieH

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, just thought I would say a quick hello. I have just set up the Clarke CWL6 that has been sitting in my garage wrapped in a tarp, since I inherited it about 12 years ago. Ive worked with wood a bit (a couple of longbows and a 14ft plywood canoe, can be seen on www.songofthepaddle.co.uk just search DougieH, if interested). Had a bit of a play over the hols and the following are attempts 1 and 2. The bowl is eucalyptus, turned wet, about 3in by 1in. The vase is poplar, dry and appox 5in by 3in. Both finished in vaseline BP. The reason for the poplar is because I had two large poplars taken down a couple of years ago, so have lots of it. I only have 20mm and 13mm skews and a 13mm shallow fluted gouge at the moment, but the local toolshop opens on the 6th so will be spending a few Xmas pennies.

I have a question if I may. Is it possible to fit a drill chuck to the tailstock on the Clarke. It seems to be an unusual size, approx 10tpi by 20mm, and its not hollow. I have a 3 jaw chuck and some faceplates, but fancied the versatility of the drill chuck. I also fancy trying pens.

Sorry for the ramble and the poor pics, and thanks for reading, and all advice will be much appreciated.

Doug

29122010137.jpg

02012011143.jpg

Hi Doug, welcome to the forum.

Great first attempts, especially with limited kit.
Nice finish on the poplar, it can be a bit wooly ime.
I've never heard of using vaseline as a finidh before, but it doesn'tr look too bad!

As for you lathe i think it's the same as one i started with (same machine different logo).
Unfortunaly you can't use a drill chuck with it as it has a fixed tailstock and no morse taper.
I also think you are scuppered for pen mandrels as the headstock doesn't have a morse taper either...

My main advice is keep practicing, if you get the bug you'll be wanting a new lathe soon enough....

Ooh and join a local club!

Hi Doug

Good to have you with us on the forum

You do know this can be very addictive :mrgreen:

and that lou are at the top of a huge slope , about to go over the edge :lol:

enjoy the ride down the slope :wink:

Oakbear":36lvnkhb said:
Hi Doug, welcome to the forum.

I also think you are scuppered for pen mandrels as the headstock doesn't have a morse taper either...

One option you could look at with no MT is simply a piece of 6mm studding. IIRC most pen mandrels are based on a 6mm bar with bushings. I can't see why a piece of studding held in the chuck and supported with the tailstock by a dimple in the end of the bar would not work?

BRgs & Welcome to the forum,

Simon

Thanks for the replies. The local club may have a waiting list, but I will do a search for others. Spent a couple of hours in the garage tonight, and came up with this. Will test it next time out. Stripped an old cordless drill for the half inch chuck, bolted it to a piece of wood and bolted that to a faceplate, and screwed onto the tailstock. Lined up fairly well I think. Just hope it works.

Doug

06012011145.jpg

Welcome to the form DougieH, If you have a 3 jaw chuck to fit the lathe headstock spindle then there are Pen Mandrels available with plain shanks that you can use, you don't need a Morse taper, in fact using a plain shank mandrel means you don't have to keep removing the chuck. There is a home made version here but commercial equivalents are available.

I would suggest you refrain from applying vaseline to your finished pieces and start using correct oil finishes designed for the job or sanding sealers and waxes. Here is a good place to start selecting, Just shout up if you need more guidance on application and process, there are several WIP references on the forum such as this which show simple finishing methods but there are as many ideas on the best for any given piece as there are members so a shout will turn up lots of options.

Thanks for that Chas, just finished another practice bowl, and tried to finish it in teak oil, but it just looked dull. So I tried (dont laugh) car wax polish. Thought it came up ok. Will be looking to get probably Chestnut Cellulose Sanding Sealer, and wax (22?) I`m just practicing at the moment and experimenting with just what I have to hand for finishing. Might try a post to see what simple finishes are used. Thanks again.

Doug

09012011149.jpg

Hi Dougie,

The chestnus products are an excellent range and the s/sealer + W/W 22 is an ideal starting point and will give you a really nice finist on most projects (only drawback - not esp hard wearing for items that are handled alot anthough really easy to buff a little more wax on.

Re the s/s, I use cellulose as you suggest as it dries quickly and is easy to apply. Others prefer the acrylic as is it a bit knider on your lungs and the environment but does take longer to dry etc. Just leave a window / door open if you are using loads of it!

Well done so far, you clearly have a natural ability for turning.

Simon

Well done Doug, you're doing really well with the kit you have and I like the solutions you have come up with.

I started with "all the gear and no idea" and it took me ages before I could produce anything that didn't get kicked around the workshop floor in anger. Lost a few toenails but I've learnt my lesson, now I use a hammer when I get really mad!

Keep it up =D>

Back