Quick advice requested

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last year a very old tree that stood in the middle of the one junction in our small village had to be felled - much to the dismay of many locals but the council were right, the trunk was weakened by disease. I asked (and was given) a few pieces.

Utterly useless for much, but I have turned a few small bowls - nut serving size. Finish wasn't great, a lot of it was pretty horrid to work with. I gave one to the person who lived opposite the tree and she was delighted to have a souvenir. The rest will end up unpriced/free in the next village hall bring and buy, I'm sure a few people will want one so a few shillings will end up in the donations box. I am mostly retired so have a bit of time.

So even if it worthless in any conventional sense, it might be interesting and certainly worth saving a bit even if all you do is bandsaw cut a new house number for your front door. Local provenance!

Wood turners seal the ends with PVA glue and allow to season out of direct sunlight. Sealing the ends stops the piece of wood cracking. When seasoning logs I store in direct sunlight to encourage cracking. then split along the cracks with a large axe to create manageable logs.

You also asked about bark on or off. I found that too many bugs can get in if I leave the bark on. Camberley beetle (not sure of the correct name) ruined some oak I had been slowly seasoning as it got into the bark and then chewed it’s way into the wood.
I’ve got a bark spud but a big chisel would also work.
Hope you get something fun/usable. I always like knowing where a piece came from.

I got 2 straightish logs at 2 ft long by 10inch diameter. I will strip the bark of and put them in the roof space.

Thanks all for the advice.

The council were there at 8 this morning clearing it away.
I'd suggest you give it a good coat of woodworm treatment before sticking in the rafters, can't do any harm.

Latest posts

Back