Questionable circular saw adaptation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen chainsaws adapted to cut vertically. These were being used to cut the outer profile of curved oak beams. I dare say these could be used for the same purpose, though you would need a short enough blade. or steel armour around your midriff.:giggle:

For a long time construction carpenters have been using chainsaws as a circ saw can only cut a couple of inches deep. That attachment lets you make deep cuts a bit more accurately than a standard chainsaw would. There is also a hand held bandsaw to shape the ends of big beams.
Mafell Z5Ec 12" Portable Band Saw 925323 925324 - Timberwolf Tools
Like any power tool it could be dangerous in the hands of those that don't know what they are doing but all up it looks safer to me than a regular chainsaw. Anyhow not something we back shed sawdust makers really need to fret about.
Regards
John

I think these beam saws are a good idea, but I would really like it if they could be used to cut radiuses like a giant jigsaw.

That would be most handy indeed.

It is a tool for limited uses. Timber frame building and ship building with some use to stick framed house building when cutting stacks of lumber the same length or to have notches in the same location. Adam it can be pushed around to make large radius curves but not tightly detailed cuts on the ends of rafter tails or corbels. The Prazi has been around for decades and I considered getting one when I was dreaming about making a timber framed home. Cost of all those big timbers made that dream go poof.
There are a lot scarier saws on the market. 16" Makita circular saw being one. A buddy had one and it commanded respect.

Pete

It is a tool for limited uses. Timber frame building and ship building with some use to stick framed house building when cutting stacks of lumber the same length or to have notches in the same location. Adam it can be pushed around to make large radius curves but not tightly detailed cuts on the ends of rafter tails or corbels. The Prazi has been around for decades and I considered getting one when I was dreaming about making a timber framed home. Cost of all those big timbers made that dream go poof.
There are a lot scarier saws on the market. 16" Makita circular saw being one. A buddy had one and it commanded respect.

Pete
I’ve got the Hitachi version of that. I bought it when I was landscaping our garden to cut the 6 inch sleepers to size. They are certainly a big tool in use.

I have the festool one (and the rail). It can be used for breaking smallish logs down in to planks. You do have to nip the bottom inch off the riving knife for it to work well though.

Latest posts

Back