question on boiled linseed oil.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffinfrance

Established Member
Reaction score
the mother-in-law popped in this afternoon with a box of stuff i might find useful and i spotted a jar of oil. from the look of the label, circa early eighties.

SIGNPOST craftsman range, boiled linseed oil. "restores that new look sheen to old wood" gotta love the sales pitch.

on closer inspection of the label on the inside, a couple of things sprang to my attention:

"reccomended for application to woods other than oak" anyone know why? i'm sure no-one has steered me away from using linseed on oak before. other than a slight you've been tangoed appearance, i havn't had any problems.

and then...

"the soiled application cloths may be liable to spontaneous combustion" hmmmmmm, guess i wont be hanging them to dry next to the stove then #-o

jeff

Don't know why it isn't recommended for oak, but hanging out to dry is fine even close to heat (within reason). It is leaving them scrunched up that is dangerous as they develop heat through chemical reaction which can build up and cause spontaneous combustion. Spreading them out allows the heat to dissipate.

Jim

Latest posts

Back