Quarter sawn oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
As you may have seen from my competition entry I have some rather nice quarter sawn oak door panels. My thoughts have turned to how to get the best out of the medullar rays.

I had hoped to just use finishing oil and beeswax but I am wondering if a light stain would help to bring out those rays. The only stain I have is a Colron Medium Oak sprit stain.

Any ideas on what else, if anything, would be worth a try?

Andy

I have a made couple of pieces with QSAO.

I first sanded down to 400 grit , then applied a coat of Fiddes shellac sealer, then 2 coats of fiddes Button Polish sanding with 400 grit between coats, final finish was fiddes Supreme Wax Polish.

All the grain and rays in the wood show up fantastic IMHO.

If I knew how to, I would post pictures

(edit BTW I use foam brushes to apply the sealer and the Button polish, and a lint free cloth to apply the wax)

Denny - if you have Photobucket open in a second browser window,underneath each picture is an "IMG" box - highlight that,then copy and paste it into your message (then preview it to make sure it works)

Andrew

Thanks Andrew

I have Photo Bucket, nothing in it at the moment, will start using it shortly, when I have a bit of time to spare.

Just on the finishing stage of of the LOML maureen's Golden Wedding Pressie, the date is 31.03.2006, so I have to hurry

Back