Pyrography kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi - I have the Axi one - it's very good (variable temp. setting is reliable and very handy) - only downsides are:
- price could be lower(!);
- relatively small choice of tips available (although I'm sure others could easily be made/converted) - only a concern if you're getting really serious about pyrography, I think.
I use mine for autographing my work so future generations of antique collectors can argue over whether or not their piece is authentic (haha). Cheers, W2S

I find the variable temp aspect very useful as different types of wood have surprisingly different characteristics - it also allows a tradeoff between speed and delicacy. Cheers, W2S

I have the Peter Child unit and one similar to the first Axminster with variable control. The Peter Child one is a far better machine and works perfectly despite being well over 20 years old. You can easily make new tips for it with basic ni-chome wire.

EDIT: when I say far better I mean it's faster to heat up, more controllable and reacts faster to changes in temperature.

I've only ever used the Axi one so I have nothing to compare it to. It heats up almost instantaneously (I usually start it at a high setting so I can see it glow) - the subsequent temp. regulation is fine for what I use it for (with any tool like this there's always a flow of heat out of the tip which needs to be replaced by electrical power). I'm sure that the Childs one would be just fine, cheers, W2S

Thanks for the advise i might have a look around on ebay see if any are coming up?

is there any other machines which are any good as well?

the one ive got has tips like that, and they dont seem to be that good but mine is a cheap £20 thing someone brought me, but it might be better as it has variable heat options on it, anyone used one?

Latest posts

Back