Purpleheart Lamp Table - Shaker Inspired (WIP, kindof)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jelly

Established Member
Reaction score
Having moved into an unfurnished house for the first time, I've had to battle the conflicting desire to actually have useful furniture immediately, and to make exactly what I want accepting the delay. Having accepted that things like wardrobes and a tv-stand (though not actually a TV, it's home to my wireless) would need to be purchased, after arguing unsuccessfully that curtain rails and packing boxes would do a fine job in the interim; I've set about making the more extraneous furniture.

The raw material I had available for this table was an "offcut" of purpleheart about 1⅞"*10⅜"*4'2" Ideal, because I've had an ongoing affinity for purpleheart since I first came across a sample when I was a child.

I started by chopping off a section a little over 10" to make the top, and a 30" section to make the legs, then ripping the 30" section to get 4 1⅞" square lengths; then deeping the table top section by hand to produce a 30mm (1 13/32" ish?) thickness (I decided that it would be a pleasing thickness pretty much by eye).

8193165821_eb6156caa6_c.jpg

I have photo's to let me explain how I did this, but frankly I'd reccomend against it, my arms are still aching.

I next planed it down to 10" square and all four edges straight and smooth, (with my trusty marples Jack plane†, only one edge needed touching up with my smoother, thankfully) then marked the bottom of each edge, and each edge along the bottom with a scribed line ⅜" in, and set to with the jack again chamfering the edges. Whilst I had to hone the edge quite a few times, to consistently get nice results on the endgrain, it took very clean cuts

Having done this, I decided to rip the material for the sides and drawer and discovered that my RAS had a short circuit, which put paid to that idea...

8193162529_6aae19ed08_c.jpg

Zap!

So I went back and cut out the joints in the base for the sides and legs to fit into... ⅛" housing joints for the sides and ¼" blind mortices for the legs, which should be more than sufficient. the mortices were chopped with a firmer chisel and cleaned up with a router plane, but lacking a sufficiently small iron for the router plane, I relented and used my laminate trimmer and a small router bit to cut the housing joints, which made at least as much mess as all the ripping did, and stopped me from hearing radio 4, most inconvenient.

With the saw still out of action and the memory of just how bloody hard it was deeping the timber by hand still fresh, the sides remained uncut, and I moved on to the top... after smoothing with the coffin smoother, I marked out a ⅜" wide line ¾" in from each edge and cut a rebate to accept some sycamore inlay (at least I think it's sycamore, I found it in the place I put the sycamore, but also found a lot of other stuff there, it is in any case light coloured and attractive); In doing so I cocked up one of the corners and so added a 1/2 square overlapping each external corner.

Having done that I cut my inlay material to rough size with a knife, and made nice tidy edges by sandwiching each piece between two offcuts of ply and running the laminate trimmer down the edge... a little final fitting with the knife saw the straight portions in and left the squares to cut...

8194251396_70ef6c662d_h.jpg

Looks pretty enough, right?

At which point I went canoeing as a change of pace.

Flying in the face of popular logic, all‡ my plane irons are honed flat across with the edges eased; as my jack plane serves also as a small try plane, and my huge 30" Griffiths try plane is sometimes pressed into service for jobs more usually done with a Jack plane, where it's momentum is an advantage, precluding taking the bevel square to the edge of the iron

Even my scrub plane, which will eventually become properly cambered, when it's been through enough cycles of being honed on the coarse stone, which first requires it to get blunt a sufficient number of times too.

Looking good so far. Everynow and then in a fit of nostalgia I think that I should be able to dimension timber by hand!

DT

Knocked the table top off the bench whilst the inlay was drying, some of the material on one corner must have been weakened by the crossgrain planeing as it's seen a long flake chip off on impact, not sure if I should let it be, or cut a new deeper chamfer to remove the damaged section.

Before you ask, it was balanced on something else whilst i was using the best lit bit of the bench to reshape the lead jaws of my sawvice; this would have been avoided if only I'd finished tidying the shop before begining a new project, Cest la Vie?

Got a few more pics too:

The joints cut on the underside of the top...
8201841074_29c82186ff_b.jpg

The inlay cut and glued...
8200759237_56d7aa54da_b.jpg

have you got the chip? can you just glue it back in place?

I probably do have it if I rifle through the shavings pile, if I can find it then I'll get it stuck back down... if not then I'll have to keep scratching my head.

one tip that i read somewhere was that if this happens, glue it back immediately before you lose it. would be worth spending 20 minutes looking i think.

Jelly":1e5ctw3u said:
Knocked the table top off the bench whilst the inlay was drying, some of the material on one corner must have been weakened by the crossgrain planeing as it's seen a long flake chip off on impact, not sure if I should let it be, or cut a new deeper chamfer to remove the damaged section.

How about a decorative shallow cove around the edge?
xy

Cant find the chip, but I do have a hollowing plane that's just begging to be used in a project... I'll see what it looks like on an offcut tomorrow.

Right, I've been making the legs; I marked the taper with a marking knife and straightedge, then planed down to the line... Being purpleheart, with interlocking grain; that was easier said than done, one or twice I had to switch out the jack for the huge jointer to get the momentum through the cut when I was initially hogging off material, for the final finish I had to modify a spare No. 4 to a high angle (60ish degrees, I have no idea what backbevel I actually put on it, other than a working one) which delivered a pretty glassy finish.

8209120457_bd5c5ea04f_b.jpg

Trimming the top down to a 40mm square tennon with a 6mm shoulder depth was awkward, as each saw cut to establish the shoulder was only a couple of mm deep but easy enough with a bit of care, and cutting the mortise for the side panel* was a doddle with the 1/8" OBM, with a permenent marker line on one side as a depth marker. Test fitted into the top nice and snug.

8210209524_c1edd54698_b.jpg

I finally got the shelac for the finish, so I got some on a cloth, took a dab of beeswax in turps to lubricate it and buffed a few coats onto the leg (whilst having a recuprative beer or two, I had to help pull my mates van out of a ford this morning and it took 3 hours to get my car the mile and a half back to my house this evening due to a combination of heavy rain and people reacting in a panicky fashion to same) and I'm very happy with the results thus far.

8209121893_11e3836022_b.jpg

I'll probably leave the rest of the finish until after i've assembled it, but I just had to know what it would look like.

I've had a bit of a disaster, I was cutting the taper on the final leg and found a check in the timber, which led to a significant chunk breaking off, leaving me short a leg and with no spare material to make a replacement... I'm going to have to look for another piece of purpleheart suitable for this now and hope the colours match up well.

Very nice table. I too like purple heart despite.

As you have found out despite the density and hardness, it is a very brittle timber if caught on the end grain

Latest posts

Back