Purpleheart box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Well, the big bash gave me and Bean the excuse we needed to visit the best woodyard I've seen, Yandles.

Picked up a board of purpleheart and had to use it on something and so I made this box over the past couple of evenings. White american oak and purpleheart for storing my slowly growing LN chisel collection.

I have a few more (larger)things I made this year but am waiting until I get the website built before posting them - will also post WIP for the box on there.

Have to admit that I am pretty pleased with it :wink:

Unfinshed:

Unfinished_interior.jpg

Unfinished_next_to_top.jpg

With_Chisels.jpg

FInished with Danish oil:

FInished_lid.jpg

Finished_inside.jpg

Finished_box.jpg

Really nice, Tony - a fitting receptacle for the very nice chisels!
Stewart

Tony, very nice Tony are you sure it will be big enough?.

Do please hurry up with the website. You first wetted our appetite just before the August bank holiday - whats taking so long :lol:

Andy

Tony

Really nice looking box, the two woods compliment each other.

I take it that you are in the process of making another one to hold al the other LN chisels?

Thanks guys, nice to be able to show people who appreciate it and know the feeling of making something :wink:

Bean and Dave NO!!!!!! :D

Andy, trying to get the website done but work keeps getting in the way :cry:

Bean and Dave NO!!!!!!

Aaawwwww and I was goinrg to make an offer aswell :cry:

Thanks guys, nice to be able to show people who appreciate it and know the feeling of making something

What you mean some people don't :shock: !!!!!!!!!!!!

Not even a bit ?? :?

Very nice work.

Any chance you could share some construction details? Please.

I see the box corners are mitred, is it just glued?

The lipping around the lid, how is it fixed to the oak?

The profile for the chisels, how did you produce the radius 'saddle' for the handles and are they different radii?

Regards

John.

Project88":1m1kz904 said:
Very nice work.

Any chance you could share some construction details? Please.

I see the box corners are mitred, is it just glued?

The lipping around the lid, how is it fixed to the oak?

The profile for the chisels, how did you produce the radius 'saddle' for the handles and are they different radii?

Regards

John.

Hi John

Quick overview

I re-sawed an oak plank on the bandsaw to get 4 pieces for top and bottom. Glued up pairs of pieces to get the width of the top (245mm wide on inside). Wood was quite thin, so only glue (no biscuits etc.).

I then handplaned all wood including wood for sides (already thicknessed to 10mm), top, bottom and then scraped them.

I then ripped the sides from a piece of the oak plank.

I cut rough mitres and then accurately trimmed them on my shooting board (the only way I have ever got repeatably accurate mitres). Used an old Stanley #6 on the board.

I ran the sides over the table saw blade (twice) to cut trenches in the inside to accept the bottom. Left about 3mm of the side below the bottom.

I glued up the sides and bottom and clamped it in a band clamp.

While that was all drying, I ripped the purpleheart into 4 strips for edging and 2 for inside.

I cut the top oak to size on the tablesaw and then roughly mitred the purpleheart. I finished the purpleheart mitre on the shooting board and glued the 4 pieces up to form an empty frame.

I ran the oak top piece over a straight cutter in the router table to get a rebate cut fairly close to final size (raised section to nearly fit inside the purpleheart frame). I then planed the oak to a nice tight fit in the purpleheart using my medium shoulder plane.

Glued and clamped the oak into the frame.

When all glue dried, I ran the whole top over the straight cutter on the router table and left a raised section about 0.75mm larger them the inside dimensions of the box.

I planed the raised section of PH to fit snuggly into the box carcass using the medium shoulder plane again. The router leaves an untidy edge when compared to a sharp plane!

I planed a chamfer on the edge of the oak in the top and the upper and lower edges of the PH rim. I also planed the PH rim to tidy the faces up.

So, box completed.

For the chisel supports, I planed the PH flat. I then turned a piece of wood on my lathe and glued sandpaper to it to make a drum sander. Mounted this in the pillar drill and sanded the recesses where the chisel handles sit.

I marked up the increasing blade sizes on the wood and routed them to approximate size using a 3mm straight cutter in the table. I cleaned these recesses up with the LN shisels (poetic using the chisels to make their box.)

Glued the supports in and finished with a couple of coats of danish oil.

Only sanding was the recesses for the chisel handles :D

Tony,

Thanks very much for the comprehensive reply.

Breaking down a lovely piece of work into the individual manufacturing steps somehow seems to make it more achievable.

Cheers,
John.

Back