Purpleheart and Lime Jewellery Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,

I'm close to finishing a jewellery box for a dear friends birthday 2 days before Christmas. I've learnt a little too late of the fate of purpleheart and time, and I'm looking on advice to what to finish it with to stave off the inevitable. The box is layers of purpleheart and lime, and I tried some Teak Oil and didn't like the result. From what I've read, what I want is a Spar Polyurethane, as the Spar will provide a good UV blocker, and the polyurethane will not yellow the result, but I live in the UK! Does anyone have any brands or links to where I can buy something that will do the same?

Alternatively, I've seen on this board this post which suggests using Tru-oil. The results do look good, but I'm wary of oils. I only have time for one shot at this.

Thanks in advance

The strongest UV resistance available with a brushed or wipe on finish is a good quality spar varnish like Epifanes UV. The bad news is it will definitely yellow Lime, and the hidden secret about spar varnishes generally is that they're designed to be re-applied very few years, so the UV blocker, even though it's very effective initially, actually breaks down eventually in sunlight!.

The strongest UV resistance that I've found with the least yellowing in a brushed or wipe on finish is General Finishes HP Top Coat, maybe there's better out there somewhere but I haven't found it, and believe me I've looked.

http://www.generalfinishes.co.uk/index. ... ore&CID=27

The bad news is that the level of UV protection it provides still isn't all that great, so it'll slow the fading of the Purpleheart but it won't prevent it.

Thanks for the links guy. Just what I was hoping for.

I've been reading more and found this blog that suggests lacquer is a better option if you can deal with the application, so would I be better off with a spray lacquer like this? There's some areas that will be impossible to handwork, so really my only options are easy on/off or spray.

Sorry for more questions. I really struggle with finishing, and I really don't want to mess it up with the last step

Here's the piece in question

Attachments

• 2016-12-10 00.46.02.jpg
    2016-12-10 00.46.02.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 1,085
Nice design, I especially like the way the 'crack' gives you entry points for the blade. It should be very well received.

Love that design.

Personally, I'd just oil it and let the wood change over time if it wants to.

I used purple heart on two of my bandsaw boxes. I finished then with a wipe on polyeurethane. They have been on the sideboard here for about 18 months and are still very purple. And I can guarantee we get more sun than you do!
Just mention to the recipient that it should be kept out of direct sunlight.

That's a nice box Red and it should be very warmly welcomed by whoever gets it.

I have used Tru-Oil many times and although it is more expensive, the finish can be just what you wish. Just a few coats for satin and a few more to get it more 'glossy' It certainly is a hard finish.

Let us see pictures of the finished box when completed and did you flock the drawer interiors?
Malcolm

Back