PTFE Spray OR What do you use to lube machine parts.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
As part of my tablesaw project, I want to spray some dry lube on the parts. Axminster's PTFE spray has been recommended before. However, I just found a similar product on Tilgear's website considerably cheaper (and they're doing free shipping atm).

So are these products the same? Should I go for the expensive option?

I have a can of the Trend dry PTFE, but it always seems to me to rub straight off anything you spray it on. There might be a residual coating that I can't see, but I'm not convinced.

Ed

Mr Ed":pm8damvl said:
I have a can of the Trend dry PTFE, but it always seems to me to rub straight off anything you spray it on. There might be a residual coating that I can't see, but I'm not convinced.

Ed

That's because PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene)/Teflon is non stick. :wink: In fact, sticking it to saucepans etc. is incredibly difficult, the substrate requires a lot of processing before it can be coated.

Cheers

Aled

so does that mean it's pointless on machine parts?

I'm not sure to be honest, I have a can of screwfix PTFE spray, and have never had any luck with it just as Ed mentioned. I once sprayed it on my Trend diamond stone instead of WD40, and it made a horrible sticky mess that took ages to clean off.

The GT85 looks good though, it seems to be a penetrative lubricant with the added bonus of having PTFE added as well. I may order some myself as I've just run out of WD40.

Cheers

Aled

Now I'm just confuzzled. :?

What do people to use to keep their machinery parts lubed then?

I normally get the Toolstation stuff and use it to on my planer, thicknesser and bandsaw, to reduce friction. It works well and is great because I can't always be a***d to apply a new coat of wax and wait for it to dry! :D

I have used it on moving parts and it does seem to attract less dust than WD-40... But, you must remember; it's doesn't make your bearings and gears 'dust-proof'. It'll get in there eventually.

GT85 and WD40 are very similar. They both lubricate and make your hands smell, no matter how much you wash them!

If you want to lubricate moving parts, use a thin oil, something like 3-in-1. We used to use GT85 and / or WD40 on bike chains. It's good but you have to apply it on an almost daily basis, especially if it comes into contact with soap and water :D .

Keep in mind the speed of the parts you're lubricating:
Slow moving and no weight-bearing = GT85.
Fast moving and weight-bearing = Grease.

Keep in mind that some lubricants may mark your wood so be careful how you apply it.

special bone":2f6i4jz7 said:
GT85 and WD40 are very similar. They both lubricate.

Regarding WD40, it does NOT lubricate in any meaningful sense: it was developed for the US Army as a water repellent! One of the main constituents is diesel (IIRC), and it dilutes/removes oils and greases. It may leave parts slippery, for sure, but use it anywhere near unsealed bearings and it will wreck them! Use with great caution, if you want lubrication. I kno nuffink about GT85 tho.

If you do want to chase water off/out of metal things, WD40 is hard to beat. It's my favourite de-icer (if I've time). A quick squirt into the Landy's locks, and wiped round the door seal with kitchen paper stops the doors jamming up nicely. It takes a few hours to work though, but once done is good for several weeks. I have to re-oil the locks properly in the spring though.

One thing I've found really good in the past for woodworking lubricant has been silicone spray, of the plastic mould release agent type. It really is slippery, but it will stick to surfaces and helps keep resin build up to a minimum too. I've run out recently, and haven't been able to source it again, but if I get some more I'll post where it came from. Otherwise, I just keep a night-light candle handy in the toolbox for planes, etc. It seems to work and it's cheap and easily sourced.

HTH...

Mon Amigo has been selling GT85 for donkeys ears now. I seem to recall it used to come in two varieties, one Teflon the other PTFE. Seems that they only do the PTFE version now. T'is pretty good stuff, just spray on and allow the solvent to evaporate leaving behind the PTFE film. It does penetrate to some degree but I don't think thats really its intended use. Don't rub over with a cloth as it will take the film off, just let it evaporate and do its thing.

I've used GT85 for ages as it flows into the slidy surfaces and gaps, leaves a layer of ptfe and then the liquid evaporates so no sticking of sawdust and clogging.

I especially like the fact that the bottle I got is a hand pump and not an aerosol. The 1 litre bottle I've got is just GT85 without the need for propellant.

Misterfish

Silicone is good for parts and bearings but, you shouldn't use it on machine tables or beds that will come in to contact with timber - they can 'stain' the timber, apparently, even though it won't show until you come to applying a finish.

I've never used any lube of any sort on the inside of my K419 and I've had it now for over 10 years. IIrc the book of words says nowt about it either...I wouldn't bother - Rob

I use PTFE spray from Screwfix.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/80487/Bla ... cant-400ml

Personally I think it's better than the stuff from Toolstation. Lasts longer when applied and feels smoother.

I also use it on my router cutters, drill bits and mortiser bits.

I've have used WD40 and GT85 and still prefer the stuff from Screwfix. Maybe that's because I have a screwfix counter 10 mins down the road from me. Toolstation is across the other side of town.

Cheers,
Sam

Latest posts

Back