Prompted by another thread... Drive Belt for Tablesaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt

Established Member
Reaction score
I've long since planned to upgrade the drive belt on my table saw and was reminded of references to alternative belts in threads back when I first bought my saw.

I've tracked down a Powerlink belt from Fenner:
PTP_Sleeve.jpg

...but I don't understand the references to "A/13" and "B/17". Also not really sure what I should be looking for in general from a type and fit point of view.

Someone also mentioned getting a belt from Halfords. Is this really possible?

Appreciate any advice.

Hi Matt

The letter in a V-belt designation refers to it's cross-section size, the smallest usually being Z, then A, B, C, and D in order of increasing size.

The two digits refer to the inside length in inches.

So, for example, A20 has an A profile 13mm wide on the outside, 8mm deep, and is approx 20 inches inside length. (within 1/10 inch).
The B profile is 17mm wide, 11mm deep.

Metric belt designation is a bit different. The profiles are the same but length is expressed in pitch millimetres, somewhere between the inside length and the outside length. So a metric equivalent of an imperial A20 would be A540, not A508 as might be supposed by a straightforward conversion of the units.

Be careful. If a belt designation is SPZ,A,B etc. it is a wedge belt, not a V-belt, and it will have a different (narrower/deeper) profile.

The belt in your picture is, of course, a link belt so has adjustable length. Very commonly called Brammah belts by old farts like myself!

Hope that makes it all clear.

Duncan

I have never personally had a need to rplace a drive belt on a tablesaw or felt an inclination to upgrade a drive belt.
Is a better belt required because the original slips or is noisy?
I think the only belts ever replaced by me are the little yellow ones on the Scheppach 260 planer thicknesser, but after a few years the machinery settled down and had the same belt on for about ten years now.

Every table saw I have had has had a V belt, same pattern as a car alternator/fan belt and they always get an annual check, or more if I happen to be under there anyway. Only ever tightened one once.......
and yes, the machinery does get used, daily .
So is there something I am missing?
Or do some machines have less than satisfactory drive systems to start with?

Latest posts

Back