Projectease

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imperial

Established Member
Reaction score
Been a long time since I posted anything, for lots of reasons, one being a fight with the planer thicknesser which I lost! Pics available to the forum if anyone wants a lesson in being careful and not working when tired.

Anyway been busy making some stuff with ABW and Maple and nearing completion. Tried to take pics as I went along but seem to have forgotten to quite a lot !! So have not handcut any dovetails for maybe 2 years or more and was pleased that I was still able even though I have no bench or vice.

Here is a little tease pic of a drawer just completed today and you can see what it fits into along with the other items later :wink:

303e81h.jpg

Bloonose":yr8bo8ol said:
Been a long time since I posted anything, for lots of reasons, one being a fight with the planer thicknesser which I lost!

oof that doesnt sound good - which bodily apendage did you "Wizer" and was it with the thicknesser or the planer function ? ;)

Also sorry to hear about your accident, though it doesn't appear to have had any negative effects on your hand-cut dovetails! :wink:

Good to see you back. Look forward to seeing the rest of the build. :)

I chewed up the tips of 2 fingers on my left hand while surface planing the edges of a lot of similar items, pushing the timber with one hand against the fence and the other pushing from the rear, repetition, fatigue and stupidity to blame :oops: but I have learned a good lesson and I'm now much more careful. Took about 6 weeks to heal up but still quite lumpy after about 5 months. Could have been a lot worse!!!

Should be finished 3 of the 4 items by mid week and will take some pics of them all, but here is a pic of the end panel/legs of the biggest one after glue up
2duilqx.jpg

I have also discovered an alternative to Osmo which seems to be less sticky so easier to get off your mitts, apply, and cheaper too, called Aidol HW Oil from Remmers.

I am also struggling to get handles/knobs which I'd like to be in ebony, I have no lathe but think I'd struggle to make 11 identical copies anyway! Have been looking online but no joy.........

Axminster seem to have stopped selling the ebony pen blanks too?

Bloonose":y2n15ihb said:
Axminster seem to have stopped selling the ebony pen blanks too?

stiles and bates have them

as regards getting the knobs why not drop richard findley a pm - this kind of work is his bread and butter and i'm sure he'd give you a decent price

Bloonose":1dqiz6u2 said:
Been a long time since I posted anything, for lots of reasons, one being a fight with the planer thicknesser which I lost! Pics available to the forum if anyone wants a lesson in being careful and not working when tired.

Anyway been busy making some stuff with ABW and Maple and nearing completion. Tried to take pics as I went along but seem to have forgotten to quite a lot !! So have not handcut any dovetails for maybe 2 years or more and was pleased that I was still able even though I have no bench or vice.

Here is a little tease pic of a drawer just completed today and you can see what it fits into along with the other items later :wink:

303e81h.jpg
Good looking d/t's here...but why does the grain on the drawer base appear to go the wrong way? OK if it's veneered, but it ought to be side to side if solid - Rob

why does the grain on the drawer base appear to go the wrong way? OK if it's veneered

Answering your own questions Rob.....

Veneered 6mm MDF not ply as are the panels/drawer bottoms in the rest of the projects, cost of veneering them all myself was too expensive so just bought two 8ft x 4ft sheets and cut them up.

I have thought about RF but thought this sort of thing may be too small a job? I love the "fruit" he makes and want to buy one of his bowl's and fill it.
Will look at Styles and Bates but I dont want a "normal" shaped knob, something a little more bespoke, hard to describe :roll: Thanks for the link

Bloonose":2tykszp3 said:
Veneered 6mm MDF not ply as are the panels/drawer bottoms in the rest of the projects, cost of veneering them all myself was too expensive so just bought two 8ft x 4ft sheets and cut them up.
Fair enoughski...I'd have fitted them the other way round but at the end of the jour it don't make any difference :wink: - Rob

Hi Bloonose,

Thats a nice looking project. If you need those handles turning give me a shout. No job too small :wink: !!

I think we all need to see some nice gory pictures of your accident. Reminders are always a good thing when using woodworking machinery. It's so easily done, and happens so quick that it could happen to any of us. I hope it wasn't too traumatic. My old man chopped the top of his left thumb off on a table saw so I know thats its no fun, and it is always a good reminder to me!!!

All the best

Richard

Richard I'll be in touch via pm when I get a picture of something I like and you can let me have a price, thanks :wink:

This is a pic of one finger after a week when the dressing was changed, it was not really sore when I did it more of a dull ache. I was more embarassed and felt stupid that I'd done it and called myself all sorts. It looked worse than it was but I did not know that then. Its a good idea to never get complacent when doing something you've done lots of times before while thinking of what biscuit you'd like with your tea :roll:

2s1aa36.jpg

Bloonose":145cw45x said:
Will look at Styles and Bates but I dont want a "normal" shaped knob, something a little more bespoke, hard to describe :roll: Thanks for the link

no you misunderstand - stiles and bates dont have the knobs, they have ebony bspindle blanks from which a turner (like richard) could make your bespoke knobs if you arrived at a deal with him - sorry should have made that clearer.

Bloonose":1ndcvf8y said:

Lucky.............I remember one of the lecturers or helpers at Hammersmith college, where I learnt my trade, lost the tops of most of his fingers to the first joint I think and that was on a planer.

100_0080.jpg

One could start a whole new thread !? I sympathise with you Bloonose. This was the result of a scuffle with my planer thicknesser last year. Again, just down to tiredness, a mind numbingly repetetive task, and momentary lapse of concentration.

I'd like to think once was enough. Could've been a lot worse.

Mr Mike":yzl8oqm5 said:
100_0080.jpg

One could start a whole new thread !? I sympathise with you Bloonose. This was the result of a scuffle with my planer thicknesser last year. Again, just down to tiredness, a mind numbingly repetetive task, and momentary lapse of concentration.

I'd like to think once was enough. Could've been a lot worse.

you guys are just amateurs when it comes to "wizering" yourselves - remember what the man himself did to himself with a router back in 08

28-05-08_1212.jpg

Back