Probably the slowest workshop build in the world

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iwood

Reaction score
I'm seriously impressed at just how fast some of you guys work and thought you might like to kick back for a change, relax and enjoy a rare opportunity to wonder/laugh at just how long it can take a fumbling amateur to put together four walls, a roof and a floor in a fashion which hopefully will look like it was half meant.

Believe it or not I started this back in April. In my defence my workshop plan called for a fair bit of digging:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95563635@N00/1172724669/

which wasn't exactly speeded along by the wet season we had this year instead of a Summer

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95563635@N00/1172724669/

Yeah, whatever, we all had the weather. "Just tell us," you might ask tentatively, "Why such a big hole?"

A real schoolboy error and a warning to you all. My kids were very excited when I told them about the shed and not at all concerned that it would bring with it months of paternal neglect because "We can make it into our den!" "We can do sleepovers in it!" Errr, actually it will be a workshop and, ummm, won't be big enough for, ummm... Guilt gripped me like a very grippy thing and before I could stop myself I was promising them a mezzanine floor upon which they could camp and do whatever they liked. With a porthole window high in a gable end wall. And electric lights and ... then I remembered you're only allowed up to 4m in height and by quickly adding up on all my fingers I realised I was now going to have to dig out two feet of soil. And cart most of it to the dump. In the back of my small hatchback car....

To be continued (but maybe not anytime soon).

I did a mezzani floor in our cabin, and have not exceeded the 3.5 meter height (just to make the neighbour happy)

Well i can tell you to make the mezani floor work, you need to dig a whole lot deeper then that, took me 2 6 yard skips, so do yourelf a favour and get yourself a skip,

Rented a mini digger for the day so that made it much lighter work, for Gbp 100,- it doesn't make sence to dig by hand, you will kill your back, and then the whole workshop idea is obsolete

Don't not know where you are based, but you're welcome to have a look at my cabin, and I could always give you some good tips ( i put a tripple pondliner in my basin to make sure it stays dry, if you have problems with high water, then i would not do the dig, i have in the basin and on the mezzanine floor head hight of 2.2 mtrs

Tommy Walsh put a mezzanine floor in his "Ultimate Workshop". The floor was mounted on pneumatic jacks and could be raised and lowered as required. Probably more trouble and expense than you want but it is another option.

Tommy Walsh sounds like an interesting character. I can see him now sitting in his hydraulic shed, eyes glinting manically as he strokes the neighbours white cat. "Do you expect me to talk BloWalsh?" "No Mr Bond. I expect you to dig that hole just a little bit deeper."

My own plans for world domination are sadly less well developed. Though on reading your post i did briefly entertain the idea of an entire hydraulic shed rising on command from the frog pond /crater. Or a more modest arrangement which would stand a defiant 5m high only to sink back to 3.99m each time the baffled planning inspectors pitched up to measure it. Hah!

Anyway back in the real world a time lapsed sentence to bring this thread back into real time: Digging is now complete (and I'm a stone and a half lighter!) , trench dug, cable installed, slabs laid, floor built and last weekend I made 11 roof trusses. I'll post some pictures and a lot more detail tomorrow. I know you're alll especially interested in roof trusses and there will be pictures of the special techniques I used to ensure they were all equally inaccurate. I'll also nominate the top three tools / gadgets I've so far discovered in my voyage of woodwork discovery.

You'll then be able to finally throw away alll your check cowboy shirts and scratchy arran jumpers 'cause you'll be bang up to date.

Does anyone have links to the "Ultimate Workshop" .?
I have googled and found nowt.!

thanks
Howard

If some of it is sitting underground, how are you going to waterproof / damp proof it?
If the floor is below ground level, how will you prevent water ingress (good word that!)

Trench looks good, looking forward to more pics...

One more thing re the comment about digging and wrecking your back!
That will only happen if you use incorrect digging technique.
User your legs, dont bend your back. 8)

Latest posts

Back