Price of Honduras Rosewood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dchenard

Established Member
Reaction score
Got myself a chunk of said wood (Dalbergia Stevensonii) for my Shepherd Spiers #7 infill plane project. Just wondering what's a fair price for that wood (first time I bought from that person). I'd like to hear your opinions before telling what I paid for it.

If that makes a difference, my chunk is about 10 x 8 x 6 inches, and weighs 25 lbs. No checks, a bit of sapwood, at least 20 years old.

TIA,

DC

That's a good sized block, Denis.

I have paid anywhere from $9/bdft to $20/bdft in the recent past. But those are for 8/4 boards.

Take care, Mike

MikeW":1l28lqta said:
That's a good sized block, Denis.

I have paid anywhere from $9/bdft to $20/bdft in the recent past. But those are for 8/4 boards.

Take care, Mike
Mike am I correct in thinking a bdft is 1" thick 12" wide so is equall to 1/12th of a cu ft i.e. $9 = $108 (£55) cu ft and $20 = $240 (£124)cu ft ?

Yes, one can do most anything to the measurement as long as one ends up with 144 square inches, one inch thick--or 72 square inches 2" thick, that sort of thing.

So a 1" by 12" by 12" piece of wood is 1 bd/ft, which is 1/12 a cu/ft. and yes, your math works out. We don't generally buy timber in cubic measurements, though I sometimes use that math to figure out relative bd/ft prices when the piece is say a larger turning blank.

Take care, Mike

Latest posts

Back