Pre-wired consumer units...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ondablade

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Most of you will have seen me asking lots of questions on shop wiring. Here's what may be a useful snippet of information for anybody needing to buy a workshop consumer unit.

I spent quite a bit of time figuring out the parts needed, and how to wire one, and was set to order the parts when our local ABB operation told me (when I called to clarify a point about isolator types that the local wholesaler couldn't) that they could supply one pre-wired - and probably at a saving over my buying the parts separately.

It turned out to be a dead convenient and totally painless undertaking - and apart from the saving in my own labour and dandruff (from head scratching) I saved around €20 on a €140 unit. The CU by the way is a 24way split 100A unit with a 63A isolator, an RCD and includes all the MCBs and wiring.

I have an inverter driving my dust system fan and this with the rotary converter for the bandsaw seemed likely to cause nusiance trips in any usefully sized RCD. Everything else - the 4x16A machine sockets, 1x10A supply and 3x13A socket ring mains - is RCD protected. All of the MCBs are C types.

It's very straightforward to install from there forward - just hook up a supply, and the relevant circuit to each MCB.

I'm in ireland, but chances are there's similar services available in the UK...

I've not long fitted two pre-wired CUs in our place. They are easy to pick up from ScrewFix / B&Q / etc. They normally come with enough MCBs to get you going and then, if need more, you just buy and plug in extra ways in gaps. I tired pricing the parts too and it turned out more expensive.

There might be 'custom' possibilities about too Wobbly - the ABB service I lucked into allows you to specify the components you need. Five minutes with a knowledgeable tech guy and an e-mail to confirm bottomed it all out.

One blocker I can think of could be that it's maybe a trade service, I'm not sure if they supply to the public per se...

Latest posts

Back