Powered Respirators for woodturning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcmguy

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been using a 3m half mask with a separate visor to date but, after some discussion in another group, have finally understood why a powered respirator might be a good idea for me (simple : easier to breathe..so its less tiring after an hour or so)

I've considered the 3m versaflow powered respirator system but for some, probably irrational, reason it seems odd to spend perhaps as much as £500 on a respirator (when thats all I spent on my lathe).

I already have the Axminster hobby 2hp chip/dust extractor dedicated to the lathe.

Has anyone assessed the relative merits of various powered respirators for woodturning (axminster, trend, jsp, 3m etc etc)

thanks

The recent hoo-ha concerning Axminster/JSP makes suggest the Trend is the better choice. May be worth reading that thread.

Thanks ..yeah ..I'm aware of various opinions about the axminster kit and questions about potentially misleading pictures etc,.but I'm not interested in engaging in that debate.

I'm a hobbyist, it's up to me, I have a powerful primary extractor and use a half mask for when there are finer particles coming off (but not when it's big streamers!)... but powered seems like it might be easier on the stamina and therefire concentration, than unpowered!

My question is really just about whether folk have compared them (eg have their own and also used other types), and particularly whether anyone decided to cough up the cash for the 3m versaflow system and how their thought process went for that decision.

I have the axminster and am pleased. It's light and does the job but has gone up in price since i bought mine, so some are suggesting the Trend is now the better buy. No idea of weight or performance on that though.

I have the Trend and Axi. I find the Trend claustrophobic to use and it gives me a bit of a headache, so I actually use the Axi. mostly. In fact I use it a lot for non-woodwork things as well, such as mowing, strimming and spraying in the garden (I get hayfever like mad).

I think all the fuss in the Axi thread was OTT when applied to most people. I would just try them both on and see which you think you would actually use a lot.

dcmguy":uf118n3t said:
....My question is really just about whether folk have compared them (eg have their own and also used other types), and particularly whether anyone decided to cough up the cash for the 3m versaflow system and how their thought process went for that decision.

I started with the Trend original mask,
oldtrend.jpg
which was OK in the main but did still suffer with allergic reactions at times of intense dust exposure, when this went off the market due to change in regulations I looked round for a replacement and it just so happened I was asked to review the two readily available units at the time as a hobby user.
Both units are still on the scene in upgraded/modified incarnations.

As I was not happy with either for my long term needs I looked around for alternatives I decided to go for The unit that had been adopted by 3M

This unit is showing it's age and is no longer supported by 3M. I still use it for Bandsaw and chop saw use as I have spare filters but not for the lathe or fine sanding.

After sole searching and an awareness that if dust is not actually getting into my lungs in significant amounts enough comes into contact with my head/face to cause allergic reactions if I'm not careful, so I bit the bullet and went for an incarnation of the latest 3M unit

I have to say I do not regret the expenditure now that the pocket money has recovered and note that there is a significant reduction in exposure to fine dust and with the cape, although seeming over the top, it's very beneficial in shedding shavings from neck and shoulders.

Attachments

• oldtrend.jpg
    oldtrend.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 2,393
Unlike AJB, I find the exact opposite, the Trend fits perfectly and the air passing over the face is cooling and clean at the same time, I think what this proves is you have to find the right one for you yourself, its no good taking any notice of us, we are all different in head shape and perception, are biased with what we use and what we have tested against prior to making our decisions.

Its worth noting that beards are a problem without a full face mask.

Mike

I should add - re Mike above - I got my Trend as a freebie from my brother. He uses the Trend in their spay facility at work (engineering, not wood) and he thinks they are great. I am a bit funny with headgear generally as I also find that some hard hats give me a headache as well. You must try them, especially with this kind of outlay.

It is also worth investing a few quid in the stick on plastic film protectors. This prevents scratches. Since static can sometimes be a problem, you do need to wipe the mask part now and again.

AJB Temple":36mq3r4o said:
I got my Trend as a freebie from my brother. He uses the Trend in their spay facility at work

What is he spraying at work?

Thanks all.. seems like priorities are :

1. check for fit
2. check for power capability and compatibility with required filatration level (p1 vs p2 vs p3 in mycase)
3. 3m more expensive but probably better
4. Polycarbonate visor upgrade (if poss) might be good
5. Visor tear off protective strips a good plan (and a duster!)

thanks again

I would say the polycarbonate visor is essential for a wood turner.

Try the tissues that you use in a tumble drier for removing static on the visor. They are very effective at cleaning up after turning any type of plastic.

Best way to clean dust off a visor is with a puff of compressed air. Wiping it with a cloth causes static which attracts dust which needs to be cleaned off ......I'm sure you get the idea!

I don't know where you live, but if you have an Arco nearby, contact them and arrange to try on the 3M, JSP and Sundstrom masks, then at least you'll know which ones fit you - and which ones fit your pocket!

If you PM me your email address, I can send you a write-up I recently did for someone else on this subject. It's not really tidy enough to post here but may help you make a decision.
Duncan

My first experience of powered respirators was back in 1979 when i worked at Thames marine a boat factory. The three guys whose job was to trim the edges of all the GRP mouldings were issued with Racal Airstream powered respirators & two of them swore by them, the other wouldnt wear it as he said it was too noisy but later died of silicosis. (He probably had it already).
In 84 I bought the same Racal AH1 as i was doing a lot of grp repair work & it served me well for 20 years before eventually wearing out. I bought another & that finally needed a complete rebuild a couple of years ago. By now Racal had been swallowed by 3M & the AH1 & its variants were being superceded by the new Versaflo types. Filters are still available but other parts are getting harder to find.
I recently acquired three secondhand ones & have built two good ones from the pile of bits.
They are still an excellent serious quality respirator that is very efficient.
Before i found these three i did a fair bit of research & there are quite a few on the market, apart from the Jsp & trend offerings, 3m do a range and also Sundstrom, North & Martinadle, most are aimed squarely at industrial use & have accordingly high price tags.
But in the end you only get one pair of lungs.

Thanks. I'm going to go with the 3m versaflow 315+ system with a m106 mask. Just need to find the £800 ish for them...

Latest posts

Back