Power tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well 4 of them are drills - very convenient for pilot/main/countersink etc, plus an angled drill. Some of them are also garden tools, like an excellent pole chainsaw for lopping. Others are cordless versions of corded tools I already own, eg router, jigsaw etc. I love my corded Makita jigsaw, but have very rarely used it since I got the cordless Ryobi. Just recently I got a cordless, high power light, which blows away all my lead lights. And, as has already been mentioned, their cordless nailers are brilliant.

I thought I made my reasons clear - this way I don't have loads of different battery chargers/batteries, and I can save money on bare tools. It works for me, and I don't feel particularly 'locked in'. A tool would just have to be significantly better quality to persuade me to get another set of batteries and charger, as was the case with my Festool cordless sanders.

I've also bought bare tools that were cheap enough that I could try them out without worrying too much about lack of use, or they came on promotion with batteries that effectively makes the tool price close to zero. Hope that helps - like I said, it works for me.
Fair enough, my comments weren't meant to criticise, I apologise if it seemed that way. My point was that it is easy to start choosing tools because of the convenience and cost of staying on the same battery system rather than the quality of the individual tool, I know that applies to some of my purchases

No offence taken, but thank you. Tool buying is certainly a compromise. All the best, Paul.

Fwiw I’ve got a few ryobi tools, namely a 18ga nailer, recip saw, angled drill, combi and impact. They’ve been used professionally on occasion the past few years and some quite quickly showed the strain.
the recip saw trigger is on the way out and the drills sound a bit funky. The nailer is great though, airstrikes have a good rep.
I use my tools professionally and for diy and buy festool corded and Makita 18v / 36v kit.

Only for a few years in my life have I had enough money to buy decent professional tools - and at that very time I had little use for them, so I have relied on the cheaper brands, and when living in Austria this tended to be Bosch DIY quality, but then I was doing much heavier work. I sent an email with a picture to the CEO showing a dozen broken Bosch tools (drills, multi tools, garden tools) together with my 50 year old Black and decker drill. I got a couple of new tools. I avoid DIY Bosch.

I have a load of the ryobi one plus kit. The single battery and chargers is obviously a great plus point. But I like them because of the extensive range of tools including garden and outdoor stuff life hedge trimmers, jet washers etc. Not had much of a problem with them so would recommend.

BUT...I am a hobby user, not a professional user so don't really hammer them. I do use the drills probably on a daily basis though.

I have mainly DeWalt but a few Ryobi, and of late I've begun to try Worx. Their SDS plus cordless drill is nice, as is the mini grinder/cutter and the nail gun.
Time will tell if they are durable

Back