Power outlet on extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeroseven

Established Member
Reaction score
On my cheapo Aldi/Lidl shop vac there is a 13amp socket for power tools which, when used automatically turns the extractor on.

My brand new Axminster extractor which cost 5 times more doesn't have this, what are these oulets called? I'd like to modify the Axminster.

Thanks

That's an interesting workaround, how responsive is the off ..... for emergencies. ...

Auto-start socket, power take-off, loads of different names used by different manufacturers.

What extractor are you talking about?

zeroseven":29br5xlj said:
That's an interesting workaround, how responsive is the off ..... for emergencies. ...
I,m no expert but i like them they respond good and are easy to use lol
Mock

I used one of these:

4bf1765c89365fdecbf1cccd1be03efb.jpg

It's meant to be used to turn off DVD players etc when you turn off the TV. I use it so that it turns on the vac when a tool is powered on.

Mine has actually stopped working but I think it's because I had all of my machines plugged into it. I've now gone for a remote which works but it's not as slick a solution. I'd think with just one tool plugged in yours would run without a problem. (As mine did for many months).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zeroseven":140jnubb said:
On my cheapo Aldi/Lidl shop vac there is a 13amp socket for power tools which, when used automatically turns the extractor on.

My brand new Axminster extractor which cost 5 times more doesn't have this, what are these oulets called? I'd like to modify the Axminster.

Axminster themselves do one, but I don't think you'll be buying it :D
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-auto-extract-controller-unit-ax21176

I've got one on the Lidl (Parkside). It's handy for sanding up a ladder*, but otherwise not wonderfully useful.

You have to bear in mind that most workshop kit is marginal for the current rating of the switches they use. Then there is the inductive load from gert big transformers (they don't work with 110V kit, or at least I wouldn't try it) .

In the workshop I use a radio remote - cheap, simple, and with a big relay inside that will cope with most small DX loads. If it dies, there were three more in the box (and anyway the relays are easy to replace). If a power take-off circuit dies, it could wipe out the vacuum (depending on the electrical design).

Besides all the above, it either doesn't stay on long enough, or doesn't go off fast enough. The remote lives in a pocket, or on the bench, and works just fine, although sometimes it needs two pushes to 'wake the system up' and then operate it. I think this isn't a fault but a feature to save battery life.

E.

* I know: before someone else says so, "why not put the ladder on the floor and then sand it?" (homer)

Back