Powdered wood dyes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodgerbaz

Established Member
Reaction score
For some of my projects (particularly pine) I like to use a wood dye and have tended to use the 250ml range from Colron or Rustins. Since moving to Germany I have had difficulty in finding them or their equivalent, but, I have found Clou water-based wood dyes in powder form.

The power dyes come in about 25 colours/shades and are sold in 5g and 12g bags. All you do is mix the 5g bag contents with 250ml of hot water and decant to an empty screw top drinks bottle.

For the Colron / Rustins range you can pay anything from £6 - £10 for a 250ml tin but the 5g Clou bags (equiv 250ml) are sold here for about 3.70€ (about £2.69). Result ;-)

I’ve used some and it gives very nice results and will now get a range of bags on my next trip.

I’ve never come across powered wood dyes before so this is all new to me but some of you may well have been using the equivalent for years. I can now have a good range of dyes at fairly minimal cost.

Barry

> MODS - feel happy to delete this post if you think it's free advertising for this company. I just wanted to share my experiences ;-) <

wood stain (Custom).png

Clou Shades (Custom).png

Attachments

• wood stain (Custom).png
    wood stain (Custom).png
    174.1 KB · Views: 768
  • Clou Shades (Custom).png
    Clou Shades (Custom).png
    243.2 KB · Views: 768
+1 for Clou powdered wood dyes. They're available here too (Switzerland) and although I haven't tried any of the "way out colours" the few woody colours I've tried work very well on stuff like "white" birch ply.

No idea if they're available in UK though.

AES

Back