Postman Pat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PerranOak

Established Member
Reaction score
I've returnrd an item that was defective to an online supplier.

They have refunded the cost of the item but not the return post that I had to pay.

What do people normally do?

That is usually the way of it and as I understand it that is all trading standards require them to do.

check the terms and conditions.

IIRC you only have to make it available for them to collect, unless they sate that you are responsible for returning the item, under DSR. Not sure about defective items though.

I think that if the item is defective or "not as advertised" the law requires them to refund postage, though many try not to.
If you change your mind then I don't believe that they have to refund the postage.

David

Yep, I think they're meant to refund the cost of return postage if there's a fault with the item. That's certainly what happened with the last few items I've sent back. It really depends where you buy from though. Where possibly, I'll pay a few pounds more to buy from a retailer I know has good customer service. There are a few companies I've dealt with in the past that really have gone above and beyond when it comes to customer service.

Not necessarily relevant on this forum, but I had some stunning service from Novatech this year when my graphics card went bad. They sent pre-paid post labels to post it back, couriered me out a loaner card that was worth twice my original card, and refunded my money when they'd had the report back from their distributor. Not always the cheapest, but I buy as much as I can from them as I know they'll look after me.

Good info here:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advice/t ... rly/dshome

Specifically:

You have to refund any money paid in relation to the contract by, or on behalf, of the customer, to the person who made the payment. This includes the:

full price of the goods, deposit or prepayment made, cost of delivery

However most shops don't know / don't want to apply them properly, so don't normally refund you postage.

Latest posts

Back