Portable/folding workbench suggestions?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redefined_cycles

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all and thanks (again).

I've a few YT vids about making my own. But even the simplest design appears to be too involved for me and would need extra investment in tools to get it right. Plus it would end up using up the wood I've already saved for my projects.

The Mafell JS is hopefully getting ordered next week or the week after (as soon as I think I've saved a decent deposit so not taking ages paying off the rest). But it's kinda pointless if I've not got a half decent workspace to use it with. Don't think the chairs out back will do and I kmow my back won't be happy.

Mainly I'll be cutting down reclaimed joists along their lengths (9 x 2 into 6 x 2) as well as long lengths of shelving etc. This is how far mt search has got

I'll not be going for the Keter as AFAIR (from my days working at B&Q) their factories are in Israel and I'm sick of the apartheid system there. Nor will I be working to buy China goods if I can help it - though I kmow this might be a bit of a mission to achieve.

My heart is leaning towards the Bosch and getting two of em. I don't yet know what bench dogs are but I imagine they'll be useful and also a few big clamps (suggestions?) might be helpful.

Obviously I'll also be putting up a classifieds wanted ad cos if I can recycle then even better...

On long work as you describe, you can do an awful lot with a pair of toughbuilt adjustable trestles.

https://toughbuilt.com/product/c650-sawhorse-jobsite-table
Drop two of your reclaimed joists in the slots and DIY a long narrow work surface to support the timber while you cut it.

If you need a bigger bench, throw an 8x4 on top.
If you need a smaller one, buy an "MFT" style top ready made in MDF with a matrix of dog holes. There are plenty of sellers on ebay.

They're not intended to be a planing bench but they are mighty useful for a lot of other jobs, strong and they fold up for storage.

3.6m 6x2's being ripped down into 2.9m firrings ....

20220831_133557.jpg

20220831_142356.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. Bora Centipede itll be. Even managed to get an extra 5% off the dicount price. Getting 2 of the 2ftx4ft tables which fit perfectly on the pavibg slabs out back. Genius contraption and really appreciated. Even convinced the missus I need ot and she's helping me out a little ;-)

I have an MFT3, it's very good but is also very expensive.
I really like the toughbuilt saw horses as well, very sturdy when set up as a table.
I would say get the height adjustable ones as I find the non adjustsble ones (the ones I used) to be a bit low for me, but I am quite tall.

Ollie

Hi all and thanks (again).

I've a few YT vids about making my own. But even the simplest design appears to be too involved for me and would need extra investment in tools to get it right. Plus it would end up using up the wood I've already saved for my projects.

The Mafell JS is hopefully getting ordered next week or the week after (as soon as I think I've saved a decent deposit so not taking ages paying off the rest). But it's kinda pointless if I've not got a half decent workspace to use it with. Don't think the chairs out back will do and I kmow my back won't be happy.

Mainly I'll be cutting down reclaimed joists along their lengths (9 x 2 into 6 x 2) as well as long lengths of shelving etc. This is how far mt search has got

I'll not be going for the Keter as AFAIR (from my days working at B&Q) their factories are in Israel and I'm sick of the apartheid system there. Nor will I be working to buy China goods if I can help it - though I kmow this might be a bit of a mission to achieve.

My heart is leaning towards the Bosch and getting two of em. I don't yet know what bench dogs are but I imagine they'll be useful and also a few big clamps (suggestions?) might be helpful.

Obviously I'll also be putting up a classifieds wanted ad cos if I can recycle then even better...

Take a look at " Charlie DIYte " on you tube. He's got a couple videos on a folding bench/table that works in conjunction with a pair of saw horses. It works for me. 😁

Back