polishing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caretaker

Established Member
Reaction score
As I am very new to this turning game but have read some books, I need to put some polish on my test spindles that I have done.
To be honest, I have only got one good test spindle and it is only small.
In one book it said Maynard's in a tin, and you put it on when it is spinning in the lathe.
I may have the name wrong.
Will I be able to use furniture wax on my test peace?
Any tips?

Hi Caretaker, funiture wax is fine but use a decent sanding sealer first or the wood will keep sucking the polish in without giving a decent result.
I always use a small piece of cloth held lightly with finger tips when polishing.

Never wrap any cloths around your hands when polishing with the lathe running :shock:

ATB

Dean

Hi Reg.

The answer to your question has as many answers as people you talk to.

1. It depends on the type of wood, close grain/open grain, and the use the item is put to. Close grain Yew, exotics and the like can be treated with 1 or 2 coats of sanding sealer rubbed well back between coats. Then a coat of wax stick/paste. Or you could use Melamine if the article is being handled all the time. Or you can use a friction polish which is not so durable and can lose it's gloss if handled. These finishes tend to give a high gloss look when completed.

2. Open grain timber Oak, Ash and so on, it is normally expected to use a oil finish, Danish or Finishing oil. These tend to leave a more satin finish but can be very durable, and are easy to rub over in the future if ever required.

3. Again after using sanding sealer you could go for some of the aerosol spray finishes around.

Just some ideas for you to be going on with. With all finishes use a paper towel to apply/buff while on the lathe NEVER cloth!

IMHO you should pick one type of finish, play around for a bit see how it works, then move to another. After a while most of us settle on a few favourite finishes and stick with them.

Good luck!

Mylands is the make you probably mean, I usually use a coat of their cellulose sanding sealer wiped on with the work stationary then after a couple of mins denib with 0000 wire wool with the lathe turning.

Then wipe on their friction polish, start up the lathe and hold the cloth against the work as it turns, works best on smaller itens upto 6" dia.

You can get Mylands on-line from SLH

Jason

Can I suggest that you use kitchen towel to apply your finish if you are spinning the piece. Cloth can catch and could be dangerous whereas paper towel rips and no harm done.

Alternatively you can buy special cloth that is safe. Don't know the name or make but I'm sure someone here will.

Pete

As Pete says, paper towels can be pretty good - or at least might save your fingers should anything catch.

When I started turning I just figured that it was wood, so just took the same approach as I had with everything else, which basically meant that most things got a wipe with oil, or just whatever happened to be handy at the time.

I've since learnt that doing all of the finishing on the lathe can have its advantages, for example you can get a good finish with friction polish if the wood is sealed already and the piece is spinning fast enough, and it is quite easy to knock back sanding sealer with fine wire wool when the lathe is running (far harder when its not).

Use whatever's handy, although I do wonder about wine gums :shock:

Cheers,

Dod

Back