Poetry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll take your word for that - I know almost nothing about him.
A paedophile or one of those Victorian-types who waxed lyrical about fresh-faced youth?

Smudger":3bgbtidj said:
I'll take your word for that - I know almost nothing about him.
A paedophile or one of those Victorian-types who waxed lyrical about fresh-faced youth?

Difficult to say..where does the boundary start and end? Is there such a thing as 'waxing lyrical about fresh-faced youth' in an innocent context?

To put my OP in context.... RogerM was absolutely correct, of course. Richard Strauss put the words of Morgen (Tomorrow) to music along with many other poems by other authors and perhaps one of his best known are his Four Last Songs.

It is interesting to see that there is a huge amount of music that has been inspired by poetry...almost another thread in its' own right! Elgars' Dream of Gerontius springs to mind and Brittens War Requiem.

There was for the Victorians. They had a sort of cult of youth thing going on, it can be seen a lot in their art and photography. Things which to us would seem sexual probably weren't at all. A lot of Francis Dodgson's (Lewis Carroll) photographs were of young girls, but there were never any substantiatedrumours of impropriety (at the time - there were later). He was, however, rather fixated into the world of children, a sort of Peter Panism. That was an extreme, but it went across the Victorian middle class.

Smudger":3jxg2m3n said:
There was for the Victorians. They had a sort of cult of youth thing going on, it can be seen a lot in their art and photography. Things which to us would seem sexual probably weren't at all. A lot of Francis Dodgson's (Lewis Carroll) photographs were of young girls, but there were never any substantiatedrumours of impropriety (at the time - there were later). He was, however, rather fixated into the world of children, a sort of Peter Panism. That was an extreme, but it went across the Victorian middle class.

And even before the Victorians....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pederasty

No, Roy. Don't think so...The Wiki article tries to make a distinction between the two...as alluded to by Smudgers' post about the Victorian allegory of the 'fresh faced youth'.

Latest posts

Back