Pocket hole plugs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duparcq

Reaction score
Considering either the kreg or UJK pocket hole jigs

Would appreciate advise on suitable plugs cutters and diamoter of respective plugs partic for the UJK

Regrda

Brian

Hi - I bought the rutlands pockethole jig and the plug cutter and can say they match well, downsides are I had trouble using it in a drill freehand, but I have a sort of drillpress jig thingy that makes that easier and they cut straight ends top and bottom obviously. I found if you cut full depth plugs, once glued in and you trim them slightly long at an approximate parallel angle to the board, you can juuuust get 2 plugs from each 1 made.

Oh and if you go full depth (to get 2) it's a bit tricky to get the plug base to snap.

I did look at the rutlands unit but for me the kreg or UJK units seem better

I looked at you site, liked your table saw:)

Can you expand on your finish on the cabinet - looked great

Duparcq":1enh8npd said:
I did look at the rutlands unit but for me the kreg or UJK units seem better

I looked at you site, liked your table saw:)

Can you expand on your finish on the cabinet - looked great

Heh ty - the tablesaw was mk2 (an expanded version of 1) the next one is going to be part of a whole workbench, router thing.

The finishes I used on the bedside cabinet and chest of drawers was simply 50/50 thinned polyurethane varnish, and applied the same way as danish oil: applied with a brush, left for 5 mins or so, then rubbed in with old t shirts, the wood soaks up what it wants and the rest comes off, it leaves the wood looking far more natural than a normal varnish look where it just sits on the surface. Cut back with 000 wire wool and reapplied 2 more times at least, or more if it's a top. They are thin coats, but give enough protection with care.

I added a final paste wax coat and buffed till my arms ached, but it's so smooth and silky now, a rag just slides right off.

I used oil poly varnish purely because I have several tins to hand, and had read about it in a woodwork magazine but might in future give proper Danish oil a try.

As it happens I've got round to using some actual Kreg pine plugs that have been lying in the drawer for a long time. Now it's just possible that they have absorbed a bit of moisture but they are virtually impossible to slip into the hole. More trouble than they are worth IMO especially if the resulting surface is going to be painted.

I sincerely hope you guys have better success 'rolling your own' as it were !

RogerS":300eohde said:
As it happens I've got round to using some actual Kreg pine plugs that have been lying in the drawer for a long time. Now it's just possible that they have absorbed a bit of moisture but they are virtually impossible to slip into the hole. More trouble than they are worth IMO especially if the resulting surface is going to be painted.

I sincerely hope you guys have better success 'rolling your own' as it were !

I keep my (wooden) biscuits on top of the boiler. I've found that just leaving an opened bag/box anywhere makes them fairly useless fairly fast. It might be worth leaving those plugs somewhere really warm+dry for a few days to see if they shrink down again.

I've only used the sample plugs that came with my Kreg jig, but IIRC they were tight too, although they came in a sealed plastic bag. Most of the stuff I've used PHJ for has been knock-down, but I'm looking for a supplier for when I've more permanent stuff to do.

E.

I've just enquired of Appleby Woodturnings, and got this response:

We are a main agent for the full Kreg range and stock the 6 best selling Kreg Plugs. 
These are as follows
> *Pine / Softwood
> *Cherry
> *American Black Walnut
> *American White Oak
> *Paint Grade
> *Maple
All of these are in packs of 50 pieces at the same price of £4.35 + Vat +P+P per pack.

I have to admit I struggled to find them on their site, but that may be because I didn't immediately go to the Kreg section. They're actually here: http://www.applebywoodturnings.co.uk/kreg-pocket-hole-kits/plugs.html

They also sell Robertson screws, which is also handy.

Hope that's useful to someone.

E.

I use Workshop Heaven for Kreg stuff, as they stock more or less the entire range, including all the plugs. Their prices are about the best I've found, too, as is their service. Their Kreg page can be found here.

Cheers
Stu

Latest posts

Back