Plumbing problem, kitchen DW & Sink

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dedee":r1mamb1u said:
BB, this is in France, normal safe practices, part P H&S etc don't apply. I even have a socket 6" away from a sink in the bathroom.

I feel a sudden upwelling of affection for English bureaucrats ;-)

BugBear

Thanks guys looks like the under sink problem is solved. DW finished a complete cycle (hottest wash) with do drips. I'll leave a bucket under the trap over the weekend just to be sure.

All I have to sort now is drip coming from this glued joint
DSCN6817-1.jpg

I am not at all sure why this trap is here as there are traps on all the appliances in the kitchen above. The waste runs along that wall for about 2 metres, turns 90 degrees and runs for another 4 metres before joining the main outflow pipe.

Any ideas why this would have been put in?

Could I just do away with it?

Andy

Unless some local regulation requires it I see no purpose to it what so ever!
It is simply a further restriction in an already over long pipe that is also impossible to clear properly.
I certainly would remove it as you already have deep traps on all upstands.

Roy.

Roy, thanks FWIW I do not think it is original ie there when the house was built, as the plastic used in the trap is different for that used elsewhere.

It's just not been my day.... Just been bitten/stung. Put on some gardening gloves felt a sharp prick and now have crimson coloured index finger on right hand. Not painful, can't bend it properly. Time for tea methinks

Andy

bugbear":z783zomk said:
dedee":z783zomk said:
BB, this is in France, normal safe practices, part P H&S etc don't apply. I even have a socket 6" away from a sink in the bathroom.

I feel a sudden upwelling of affection for English bureaucrats ;-)

BugBear

You'd be really impressed with my Sons kitchen in Germany then, where there is a 3Ph 400 volt outlet (16A IP44 type) within one units distance from the sink to supply the 3Ph to the oven.

Sounds like time for anti histamines Andy. I would cut out a decent length of that pipe and replace it with a new length using screw couplings, this makes for much simpler cleaning in the event that it becomes necessary.

Roy.

Roy,
Just had a measure of that pipe and it is in fact 50mm which is odd as it is definitely 40mm in the kitchen above. The reducer must be in the concrete floor.

50mm compression waste fittings seem to be like rocking horse poo. Do they exist?

Andy

They are over here Andy, dunno about your neck of the woods though.

Roy.

Roy,
I'm over in the UK at the end of the month but I am struggling to even find an on-line source for 50mm couplings. I can see that Multikwik manufacturer but google has yet to through up a reseller. I've sent them an email.

Do you know of an online source?

Andy

Out of all plumbing related items, the one I hate most is waste pipes. Nominally 40mm or 32mm...depending on manufacturer, solvent weld or compression..all subtly different..and don't get me started on connecting to existing old pipes :evil:

Did you get that drip fixed...lost track a bit..so much going on chez vous! I'd have probably tried wrapping PTFE tape round but I do like Digits' suggestion. That sounds a neat trick.

Hi roger,
Yes this thread has gone on a bit - Murphy's Law I'm afraid

Well the original drip is fixed IE under the sink from the DW.

The problem now is fixing the drip in a welded 50mm plastic pipe trap ( my post 1.13pm today).
I like to replace the seemingly unnecessary trap with a piece of straight pipe which would be an easy job if I can find a 50mm compression coupler.
No joy yet

Did find this useful tip on youtube on cutting plastic pipe with nylon string
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0GvqLFC32o

Andy

dedee, you might find 50mm and 2" pipe and fittings in pool suppliers. tends to be at prices to match the lifestyle though.

How much faith you can put in whether a particular supplier is talking about internal or external sizes though :duno:

Roger,
thanks. Those universal connectors are not compression fitting. What I need are 2 of these
http://www.multikwik.com/product/42/159 ... white.html

Multikwik have just got back to me with a reseller http://shop.parkerbs.com/
but I cannot see it in their product list. I've sent a mail but will call them in the morning.

Although more expensive I much rather have a system that I can take apart easily for cleaning etc.

Roy, sorry just noticed your last post. they seem to have them so I'll call them in the morning.

Many thanks for you help

Krs

Andy

I don't think I would have confidence in the longevity of a taped joint which is also why I'd rather not pour more glue in the joint. Also the trap seems to be surplus to requirements.

Andy

They are frequently cut off wg to maintain an air break in the stand pipe.
Some of the hoses have a large fitting one end and a smaller one on 'tother, depending on pump outlet dia. The large end can then be a close fit in the stand pipe.

Roy.

Back