• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Plough handles?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a small job to replace some plough handles. they will need to be turned up on the lathe and will have a hole bored through them. They are then fitted with metal collars at each end. what wood would be the best to use for this? I originally thought of Oak but with it being in constant contact with the metal and being outside it will discolour no doubt.

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a very old plough in our garden (for effect only) and was looking at the handles only the other day, as they are a bit tired. They look quite like ash to me - can't be really sure without busting them apart, but that was my best guess. I have offcuts of oily ash around if you need a couple of pieces (postage only).

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes thanks guys, that does seem to be the overall opinion Ash. never having made anything like these before i had no idea what they were made from. i would love to take up your offer Douglas if I could. (I know I don't have any Ash kicking around the shop) let me know how much and how to pay you? Thanks for your generosity. :wink:

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Mailee - i have quite a few nice bits left from a bench build - I tend to keep the oilier stuff for handles etc (I call it oily - it's the slightly darker, more dense, and maybe is heartwood, not sure). If you let me know length and cross-section I'll sort out 2 blanks ready for your lathe. Once I know weight I'll let you know postage - that's fine.
And if you prefer the blond ash I have that too, just say which.

D

sorry, meant to pm that, hit the wrong button #-o - anyway pm me