Please Help - Bed Frame (2x2?)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aidex

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

First of all apologies if I should've posted this in the "Design"forum I honestly thought this was probably the more suitable forum.

I am building a super king sized bed and to keep the weight down my wife suggested I build and clad a frame rather than make mdf boxes for the drawers. She also doesn't want a big rail above and below the drawer fronts so I was hoping that 2x2 would be suitable for the frame? I've tried to attach a picture but can't so will do my best to describe what I hope to do:

1. 2x2 legs both ends of the side frame.
2. 2x2 top and bottom rails screwed and glued to legs (4" screws)
3. 2x2 vertical support at centre of rail span.
4. 2x2 "foot" under no. 3 support.
5. Foot and headboard to be made in a similar way and screwed to the legs.
6. 2 additional 2x2 frames running parallel to the sides of the bed to take the drawer runners and provide support to slats (these won't be seen and can be made of 2x4 if they will help (head and foot board could also be made in 2x4 if it would help)

Many many thanks for your help!
Aidex

If you can only fit in 2" timber for the horizontals then you need a metal frame from angle or box section.
Even without making any assumptions on the weight of you and your wife, 2" timber is nowhere near deep enough.

Use the sagulator to give you an idea of the kind of deflection you may expect. Putting in some numbers for 50x50mm timber the answer is always excessive sag, independent of the wood type, centre or spread load etc. I expect with a bit of thought you could use it to work out what thickness of timber you would need for two full sized adults going at it like, well anyhow there is more than just the static load to consider for a bed.

http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/

Sounds like a Big bed!
As has been said 2 x 2 isn't really strong enough.
Also you mention gluing and screwing the frame together but have you made allowances in the design for if the bed has to be partially dismantled for moving out of the room (house move or decorating etc.)?
Have you considered making a Divan base in two halves which will accommodate drawers easily, can be easily moved if required and can fix a headboard and footboard to if you wish?

I have just finished 2 beds a standard double in American black walnut that used 6" x 1" for the frame and a super king size in European oak I used 30mm thick and 7" deep sides for that weighs a lot though
No sag apparent yet
I used dominos knock down joints on the sides....very impressed with those
Ian

Hi Everyone

Thanks for your comments... I think I'll use some metal (angle) to stiffen it up. I think I'm doing something wrong with the sagulator as it reckons it's acceptable???

The bed would have 4 outside frame sections (top, bottom and 2x sides). Each individual section would be glued and screwed then sections screwed to each other (to allow disassembly). Inside there would be 2 more frame sections formed around the drawer boxes cross fixed together making a form of torsion box.

Given the advice I'm thinking of adding L section metalwork to the top 2" rails to stiffen them (and on the side frames to take the slats). Do you guys think this will do it (ie 2" angle iron).

Thanks again
Aidex

PS - Thanks for not going into our weights - the I'm pretty light but wife's currently 8.5months along!

PPS - Hadnt really considered the dynamic loads... :shock:

Hi Ian

I saw the domino joints in a newsletter a couple of months back... they look ideal for a bed construction... unfortunately I don't have a domino :( ... yet... :)

Its the one Festool I will get as soon as I can stretch to it (getting 1010 at the minute)...mind you... wouldn't mind getting my hands on the Conturo too!

BTW, how do 1" timbers compare to 2" timbers e.g. 6x1 v 2x2 or 2x4?

Thanks again!!!

I'm currently making a 2'6" single bed for our young son.
I used Redwood ex 6" x 1" for the frame and ex 3" x 2" for the legs.
Did a dry fit the other day and the bed is sturdy and solid.

Aidex":1svuwtrf said:
Hi Ian

I saw the domino joints in a newsletter a couple of months back... they look ideal for a bed construction... unfortunately I don't have a domino :( ... yet... :)
Welcome to use mine if you can get to me (near Gatwick)?

Hi Matt

That's incredibly kind of you! Unfortunately your over an hour from me on a good run :(

Thank u very much!
Aidex :)

Latest posts

Back