Plastic veneer / sheet / covering

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

space.dandy

Established Member
Reaction score
The wife has asked me to make an outdoor storage box, with a counter top that looks similar to our existing table, which has a grey textured surface -- it's actually coated glass, but that's beside the point. I am thinking about using some kind of plastic veneer to achieve the effect, but I don't really know what I'm looking for. Suggestions?

Chris

I'd be thinking more paint for outdoor use. Hammerite? Or sponge/roller a texture into grey paint?

I did think about that. I was also considering PVA'ing some coarse silica or something onto the surface before painting, but I think it might look rubbish. If I can't come up with anything else I'll try a small sample to see.

You might want to have a look around here. You can apply formica just using a J roller and contact cement. Just seal the edges of the boards well before assembling the box to give it a bit of longevity

A lot of shower panelling is basically Formica or another brand of high pressure laminate, so no problems with water. You can glue it with contact adhesive & as has been said it's just a matter of dealing with the edges.
In fact it might be worth searching gumtree etc for off cuts of shower panelling as grey is very popular at the mo & you might pick up a bargain.

Latest posts

Back