Planing (a lot of) end grain

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Most attention here is on getting smoothing planes to create silky finishes by producing micro-thin shavings from difficult woods.
I have recently been confronted with the other end of the spectrum:
trying to remove large amounts of material from the end grain of standard DIY shop "white" wood. This was to trim up the bottom planks of a sloping sided box.
My plane(s) were juddering all over the place and horrible things were happening to the wood. Just at the end, a low-angle block plane got the final millimeter or so under control.

How would forum readers tackle the rough bit ?

I would use my bandsaw or Table saw.

I made a number of boxes a while ago and cut the initial (mitre) waste on my BS. Planed the remaining (end grain) on my shooting board.

Rod

GYOEVAKAR.jpg

My plane(s) were juddering all over the place and horrible things were happening to the wood. Just at the end, a low-angle block plane got the final millimeter or so under control.

Hi Topaz

Even a common pitch bench plane should be able to smooth endgrain. From your description you are either taking too deep a cut or have a blade that is not sharp enough (for end grain, especially soft woods, you want S-S-S-Sharp!).

trying to remove large amounts of material

Mmmmm. I guess that answers which one.

Use a handsaw to remove as much as possible, then joint with a long plane, and put the final finish on with a LA plane (block or LA Jack).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Use a router. Clamp a straight edge a set distance in from the end of the board and run the base of the router along it...simple. I've been fitting a pine door over the last couple of days and this is by far the easiest way to do it. Clean up if necessary with a block plane but you shouldn't have to - Rob

Weirdly, a scrub is rather effective at hogging end grain. Get nice ribbons of end grain.just make sure the far end is well camfered.

Topaz":2mpk53mm said:
Most attention here is on getting smoothing planes to create silky finishes by producing micro-thin shavings from difficult woods.
I have recently been confronted with the other end of the spectrum:
trying to remove large amounts of material from the end grain of standard DIY shop "white" wood.

Here in the states, that stuff is usually wetter than a pig in a pond!

You're a funny bunch over there, we keep goldfish in our ponds :wink:

Agree with many of the suggestions, would think that a good cross cut blade on the table saw would be an easy and successful route to go

Many thank for your interest in this problem.
Some answers miss that the workpiece was the bottom of a sloping-sided box.
This makes a router (also my first choice) problematic.
There was not really enough material left to use a pull-saw (tried this) and I was worried about scoring the sides.
I tried the TS at 15° blade angle - hand-held due to awkward size (ouch!) - and this worked until I ran up against a pin in the riving knife (stupid Bosch design).
So I was left with hand planes and that was a horrible experience (one of my glued corners failed in the process due to the shocks).

I must try and get my blade even sharper. . .

Introducing this topic was also an attempt to get us posting about planing "white" wood, the stuff that most of the population have to use.
Intuitively, I would say this was more stressful on the plane than the the "classic" test.

Topaz":31wgwar2 said:

How would forum readers tackle the rough bit ?

I'm not sure I follow what you are trying to do.
Did you leave the sloping cuts until after you assembled the box? Did you dovetail it, or glue and screw?

I cut pieces as close to finished size as possible, leaving just the minimum to clean off afterwards. I don't use a cutting list as such, but this is what they are for. Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Cheers
John

:)

Back