Planer/thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filsgreen

Established Member
Reaction score
After reading all of the posts on the above and dithering for what seems an eternity, I have decided to take the plunge and buy a Axminster WP150 150mm Planer and an Axminster CT330 330mm Thicknesser. :lol: Both of these are on offer at APTC at the moment.

Has anybody got any tips or advice on using these machines? I got a big bag of hardwood offcuts from McGraths in Liverpool the other day so I have loads of wood to practice on. Neil could you add mine to your list please?

Regards

Phil

fg

i picked up the jointer planer dvd form here when i was in the US a couple of months ago. Its a very useful disk and referred to it quite a few times. As you are in my vicinity you are more than welcome to borrow etc :wink: pm if interested

Tom

Hi Phil,
I had the jointer back when it was the original Perform model, great little machine with an excellent system for blade alignment and a superbly solid fence which I found made for a very accurate bit of kit if used carefully. The thicknesser I haven't used, though I suspect it's not a million miles from my DeWalt version (and numerous other similar models).
That said the most important thing you need to do first is make sure you have some ear defenders (and understanding neighbours) on hand as both have brushed motors and are seriously LOUD in use. The jointer in particular seemed to me to be much more noisy when the extractor was connected, something to do with the harmonics as the air passes over the moving blades I believe.
I got really good results from the jointer, but for longer lengths I found I needed a roller stand at each end carefully aligned with the relevant table using a straight edge. Using this setup I could, with care and patience, successfully joint pieces 2.5 / 3.0M long. Not bad for a machine you can pick up and stick under the bench when you're done!

Congratulations on taking the plunge, I know how difficult it can be talking yourself into purchases like this, having just spent the best part of a month justifying the purchase of a JPT 310, should be here next week :D

Have fun with your new toys.
Cheers.

Phil

If you can spring for just a little more money then you might want to consider getting the floor mounted Axminster Ct1502 which, although having the same max width, does have longer infeed/outfeed tables.

Agreed, it's a much more substantial (and quieter) machine, and the one I currently have. Though i could never understand why they didn't use the same cutterblock and knives as in it's little brother. Different manufacturer I guess.
Incidentally, my CT150 will be up for grabs once the Jet arrives, as will my DW733. Anyone want to make me an offer before they go out on EBay?

Mark

Roger Sinden,

If you can spring for just a little more money then you might want to consider getting the floor mounted Axminster Ct1502 which, although having the same max width, does have longer infeed/outfeed tables.

Phil i agree with Roger, if you can afford it, i would go for the Axminster CT1502, because compared to the WP150 it really is in another league.

For a start the table lenght on the CT1502 is 1180mm, but the WP150 is only 720mm. IMHO this is far to short for most sort of furniture making.

Then as Mark says:

That said the most important thing you need to do first is make sure you have some ear defenders (and understanding neighbours) on hand as both have brushed motors and are seriously LOUD in use. The jointer in particular seemed to me to be much more noisy when the extractor was connected, something to do with the harmonics as the air passes over the moving blades I believe.
Which again IMHO, is far from an ideal way for either you or your neighbors to enjoy your hobby.

I don't know if you have thought of a combination planer/thicknesser, but if you cannot afford the extra £200 getting the CT1502 will cost you, why not look at the AW106PT, which is only an extra £70, or even the Perform CCNPT, which will only cost you an extra £9?

I do not know what these 2 p/t are like, but the Perform looks like a clone of the Elektra Beckum 260.

Good luck with what ever toy you choose.

Cheers

Mike

Phil, just a thought, but if you haven't already commited to the new items and you have the space, this might be an option:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/axminster106p...6QQihZ018QQcategoryZ42938QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've just had a horrible thought, you asked for advice on using your new tools and this thread is in danger of descending into a discussion on whether you've chosen the right ones.

Can of worms anyone?

Mark

Can of worms indeed Mark :? I have ordered the said items but can change my mind. However, my workshop is only 13x7, as such I am limited to worktop models :cry: Thanks everyone for your advice and I look forward to recieving my new toys tomorrow. Carry on with any helpful tip you may wish to give me as I have never actually seen a planer or a thicknesser in the flesh...so to speak.

Phil

filsgreen":182fyea1 said:
as I have never actually seen a planer or a thicknesser in the flesh...so to speak.

Phil

Just be sure to keep your flesh away from the spinning bits and i am sure you will get much enjoyment from your new 'toys'.

Julian

best advice is to start with only taking small cuts, might be a bit boring,
but that way you will discover how the machines handle the wood,
and how you handle it. you will understand how to address the wood
to the cutters, how to sort the guards, how to discover the proper
grain orientation as it goes through. also small cuts reduce the chance
of kick back :sick: :whistle: ](*,)
been there seen that done it, got the t shirt with my little
mafell ad160. first job with it was cleaning up 12 foot lengths
from old pallets for a garden shed door.

have to say however good the machine, unless you have good control
over the outfeed support, you will get some kind of snipe, another
good reason for small cuts.

good luck.
paul :wink:

Haven't had time to use the thicknesser yet, i've still got to get the in-out feed trays set up. I think I'm going to invest in a book, as it can't be as easy as just shoving wood through it :?

Latest posts

Back