Plane insanity

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheKnottyOne

Reaction score
During my fate-driven purchase of chisels from someone's garden shed, I declined the offer to make a bid on a collection of old wooden planes. I also refused the downwards spiralling price at every turn, knowing that for me, these would be reduntant spirits gathering dust in a dark corner with just unfeasibly large spiders for friends.
That is not the purpose of a tool. To me at least, they should be used, they need to be used to be appreciated, and they need to be appreciated to be loved, and all tools need a bit of love.
This romantic view of old tools was eventually shattered when the price fell by such drastic steps that I felt obliged to take them to avoid seeming rude. So much for my de-cluttering.
Here they are in all their magnificence:

image_0006.jpg

image_0005.jpg

image_0003.jpg

Now, I feel a little bit like some sort of agency here (and I apologise if you feel I should have put this in the for sale thread, but they aren't exactly for sale in the way most items are) I am more looking to re-home them. If you think you can give any or all of these wooden beasts a good and caring home where they can live out their retirement (or preferably come out of it!) please do not be too embarrassed to PM me with the paltry sum you feel you could part company with to give a plane a new life.

Failing that, if you know what any of these are specifically for, I would be most interested. Its a long time since I did O level woodwork, and even then, the only wooden plane I remember using was a shooting plane which maybe what the huge ones are?

Ahhh, how cathartic it is to display one's ignorance in front of so many people.

TheKnottyOne":2y6aoc9f said:
This romantic view of old tools was eventually shattered when the price fell by such drastic steps that I felt obliged to take them to avoid seeming rude...

Yes, one simply must be polite in these situations. Nice score!

Kirk

There's some kind of hollowing plane in there, and a badger in VERY good condition, and an extra high angle rebate plane.

Not the commonest.

BugBear

Thanks for the info BugBear. By coincidence (which is probably not a coincidence!) the badger and the hollowing plane, or scrub as it was referred to as, are now shortly to be re-homed and may now no longer be considered up for adoption, which is marvellous news.
All the others are still available, and I'm glad to say that any that remain in my care up until christmas will find their way to a worthwhile project to start a new life.

Latest posts

Back