plane blane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beermatt

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi ,am thinking of getting a new blade for my 5 1/2 record but am stuck between a ron hock a2 steel or a clifton o1, i mainly work with softwoods and some of the more forgiving hardwoods and i am wondering which is the best angle to sharpen or is the standard 30 degrees ok would be greatful for any tips :D :D :D (hammer)

My vote would most definately be for O1, especially as you don't intend to plane anything too abrasive eg. Teak :evil:

The Clifton Irons (and planes for that matter) that I have are superb, and I wouldn't change them for the world.

I tend to grind the bevels at around 23deg, and then hone a few degres above this, so 25-27deg (ish)

Cheers
Aled

We have been reading report after report extolling the virtues of QS irons, comparing these to the high quality jobbies.

I fully intend to test drive one of these when the need arises....perhaps you could try one of these...particularly since Matt has some ON SALE HERE

Jim

Another vote for the Clifton blades. Excellent edge retention qualities and the extra thickness over your original blade will make a HUGE difference, even if you do have to file the mouth a bit.

Matthew's Quangsheng irons aren't bad, either. I've only used one in a block plane, which doesn't get used as often as my other bench planes but, it's far superior to anything at the lower end of the market, that's for sure.

Back