Plane adjustment help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings one and all.

I've been playing with my record #4 1/2 lately, I can make shavings with it but I'm not that happy with it. Nothing seems to fit right and its a pain to adjust to get it to work in a reasonable fashion (IMO). Are there any online sources for fettling (sp?) for best performance? (and just general set up tips, this is my first plane of this type) I need to sort one of the handles out as it is so might as well give it a good work over while I'm doing it.

Ta!

8)

I followed the above articles, plus listened to others and tried their fettled planes. I have made new handles and knobs for all my planes. Improved my sharpening techniques, Tormek, 4 x 8" diamond stones, ceramic stone and stropping with chromium oxide. The planes were brilliant. Then I bought a Rob Cosman blade combo. Some Samurai Laminated blades, and for the rest of the planes , quangsheng Blades. All but the Cosman equipped plane have QS chipbreakers. A world of difference for planing and the blades now hold an edge for much longer. http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p244 ... %20Planes/

I am watching this with interest, as I have recently placed a QS blade in an older Stanley (pre kidney-shape cap iron hole) 4 1/2, and whilst it still needs fettling properly, the lateral adjustment lever is incredibly sloppy in it's 'engagement' with the blade.

Adam

My 4 1/2 is an older one, how old exactly I could not say but I'd guess 70's.

The lateral adjustment isnt good on my plane, the depth adjustment isnt great either but having seen some damage to the holes in the blade I'm not supprised.

Can somebody tell me how big the mouth should be on the record 4 1/2 please? mine seems quite big but again this is the only plane like this that I own.

I have a small project to finish before I start messing with this plane too much (kinda used to how it works at the moment) I dont want pipper it up before I finish :? :( (hammer)

No Skills wrote: I've been playing with my record #4 1/2 lately, I can make shavings with it but I'm not that happy with it. Nothing seems to fit right and its a pain to adjust to get it to work in a reasonable fashion (IMO). Are there any online sources for fettling (sp?) for best performance?

Try http://tinyurl.com/yby9sne

Jeff
www.amgron.clara.net

No skills":2y462ek1 said:
Can somebody tell me how big the mouth should be on the record 4 1/2 please? mine seems quite big but again this is the only plane like this that I own.
I don't know that there is any size a mouth "should" be, so long as you can slide the frog so as to close up the mouth to a suitable size.

My early 04½s (1939-1959*) have mouths from 4.55mm to 4.65mm, while a later model (1968-76) has a 4.75mm mouth. The tightest mouth on my bevel-down bench planes is 4.40mm (Record 04 & 07 planes).

HTH.

*dated using the http://www.recordhandplanes.com site.

Cheers, Vann.

Mike Wingate":1rgbukge said:
I followed the above articles, plus listened to others and tried their fettled planes. I have made new handles and knobs for all my planes. Improved my sharpening techniques, Tormek, 4 x 8" diamond stones, ceramic stone and stropping with chromium oxide. The planes were brilliant. Then I bought a Rob Cosman blade combo. Some Samurai Laminated blades, and for the rest of the planes , quangsheng Blades. All but the Cosman equipped plane have QS chipbreakers. A world of difference for planing and the blades now hold an edge for much longer. http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p244 ... %20Planes/

Mike...please tell me what the plane marked "1" on picture 7 is! It's driving me nuts!

More pics of it too!

NS...I think you will find that as you gain experience of plane fettling you will find what works and what doesn't.

It's always best in my opinion to start with a basket-case because you are more likely to take risks...especially if it only cost a couple of quid at a bootfair.

After doing a few restorations and tunings I would not waste my time on this one...

DSC_0010.JPG

...it's a bit too new for my liking now and the iron is not of the best quality. But as others have said..I suppose I could have gone for a replacement cutter and cap...

Surprisingly though...even though it is hardly the best vintage...it tuned up nicely...

DSC_0102.JPG

...frog lapped in nicely as we have discussed here before....then tarted up a bit...

DSC_0127.JPG

...and the performance was "acceptable" but far better than when it came out of the bin...and probably the factory!

DSC_0143.JPG

...cuts fine and fairly consistently...

DSC_0146.JPG

When looking for new candidates of other sizes...go for the older Records...older US Stanleys...the effort is the same but the results are more worth it.

Good luck and any pics?

Cheers

Jimi

jimi43":1fb780gd said:
I mean this one...

P1010860.jpg

The one with the depth stop that looks like it has a "1" on it....

Hope you don't mind me linking the pic Mike.... :lol:

Jim

Sorry Jim... :duno:
Looks like it might be a '1' off! Home design? :)

Thanks for the further info folks, upon browsing one of the sites linked my plane looks to be from 1959 onwards.

I have a small pile of older tools that need looking at, I'll do a bit of a wip when I get some time if anyones interested.

No skills":1md0uygv said:
Thanks for the further info folks, upon browsing one of the sites linked my plane looks to be from 1959 onwards.

I have a small pile of older tools that need looking at, I'll do a bit of a wip when I get some time if anyones interested.

Of course we are interested mate. That's what this place is about after all! :mrgreen:

And...if you are like a lot (though not all) of us here...you will take great pride in restoring tools...using them and passing them on to the next generation. After all...we are mere guardians of these things...it is our duty to care for them the best we can.

Jim

Back