Pits in my turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to remember (or know) that some wood will never cut cleanly across the end grain & in time you will learn which pieces are worth spending time on. The piece that you show is only for practice & therefore is not - unless you are determined to continue & perfect your technique.

Your link to Umake workshops doesn't show a lathe & looks to be a place for those who don't have their own workshops to make things rather than a teaching venue. IMHO, a woodturning club is likely to be much more valuable for your purposes.

Rhossydd":3lknkq4n said:
heronviewer":3lknkq4n said:
I'm interested in the vortex tool -/.../ is not available any more.
The route to it has changed, it's now at http://www.cindydrozda.com/handouts_Pdf ... pening.pdf

I'm not sure that this particular tool would help the OP with his particular problem though. The Vortex is designed specifically for work on tiny finials.
From what I can see and have read here; the OP's main issue is not using the most appropriate tool for the cut and not having sufficiently sharp tools either, with poor quality timber being the final aspect that prevents success.

Although Cindy Drozda may use the vortex primarily for finials, it's by no means limited to that purpose, like any turning tool, it has a primary function (in the case of the vortex tool that is detail rather than finial) but can also serve in other capacities equally well if used correctly.

The pair of candlesticks below had all their detail and the base cut entirely with my homemade version of the tool, the wood being Sycamore was also slightly punky and inclined to fracture out on the end grain, I got an exceptionaly clean cut with the tool which greatly reduce the amount of sanding required to get a highly polished finish on the base and around the rim at the top. By no means would the tool be unsuitable for the OP.

Sticks-3.jpg

Sticks-2.jpg

Just as a by the by, these sticks took 2nd prize in the matched pair class at our recent county show, I was well pleased (yes there were more than 2 entries! :) )

Could you give some details of your own version of the tool please ? It looks as though it is very effecive for that sort of work !

KimG":2wq9licv said:
Although Cindy Drozda may use the vortex primarily for finials, it's by no means limited to that purpose, like any turning tool, it has a primary function (in the case of the vortex tool that is detail rather than finial) but can also serve in other capacities equally well if used correctly.

The pair of candlesticks below had all their detail and the base cut entirely with my homemade version of the tool, the wood being Sycamore was also slightly punky and inclined to fracture out on the end grain, I got an exceptionaly clean cut with the tool which greatly reduce the amount of sanding required to get a highly polished finish on the base and around the rim at the top. By no means would the tool be unsuitable for the OP.

Sticks-3.jpg

Sticks-2.jpg

Just as a by the by, these sticks took 2nd prize in the matched pair class at our recent county show, I was well pleased (yes there were more than 2 entries! :) )

Well done on a second Kim a well deserved placing

heronviewer":aguiopa3 said:
Could you give some details of your own version of the tool please ? It looks as though it is very effecive for that sort of work !

Yeah, I'll pop a couple of pics up in a day or so and describe how I made them.

Cheers Derek, I did pretty well overall at the show, three categories, faceplate, between centres and matched pair. I got first and second in the "between centres" class, I got first and third in the faceplate class and second for the pair, so I was well pleased with that.

KimG":3fmv41k9 said:
heronviewer":3fmv41k9 said:

Yeah, I'll pop a couple of pics up in a day or so and describe how I made them.

Cheers Derek, I did pretty well overall at the show, three categories, faceplate, between centres and matched pair. I got first and second in the "between centres" class, I got first and third in the faceplate class and second for the pair, so I was well pleased with that.

Maybe you could put your entries into another thread Kim as I for one would be interested in seeing them as I feel that they are worthy of being shown off :wink:

apart from a little finial box (which I must photograph) you have seen the other entries, the natural edged laburnum bowl which I put in the summer comp took a first, the spalted beech box I did for the winter comp took third, the very thin goblet I did a good while back took first in the spindle turning, the little finial box took second and the candlesticks already seen. I will pop a picture of the box up when I get it photographed.

Latest posts

Back