Pitch pine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
Seems to be a timber i know nothing about and have been asked for a source by a friend .
Anyone have any info on pitch pine and a source please ?

Pitch pine is also known as southern yellow pine.
Uses: Heavy construction work, Lorry and railway waggons, shipbuilding,spars, masts, flooring, decking.
I hope thats what you want but not sure where to get it .
You can try a wood surplyers a friend uses

Parker Kislingbury
Brill Sawmills, Wotton Rd, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire HP18 9UB
Tel: 01844 238282
Classification:
Timber Importers & Agents

Its abit of a drive but my friends are very happy withwhat they have had from there

I was taking my info from World woods in colour, pine is not some thing that I have used much, I have used more exoitic woods :-#

I think it depends on where you look it can be a bit of a general term, but I have always regarded pitch as a bit more resinous than yellow. It can also cover the long leaf pine & slash pine (Elliots pine).

Jason

jasonB":3at50x7g said:
I think it depends on where you look it can be a bit of a general term, but I have always regarded pitch as a bit more resinous than yellow. It can also cover the long leaf pine & slash pine (Elliots pine).

Jason
Thats what I have in the book

These days most pitch pine will be recycled beams out of mills and factories (and that supply is drying up). Nasty stuff to work as it gums up your tooling and machinery and 150 year old pitch pine can be as hard as rock. Watch our if you take this route as you may be offered Parana Pine instead (labelled pitch, though) - a later import which some dealers are attempring to pass opff these days. Pitch pine is currently a lot more expensive than ash or beech.

Scrit

Back