Piston fit blanket chest lid stay?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I bought this lid stay from Screwfix and despite the awful instructions managed to install it to an blanket chest I made some time ago. The lid opens nicely but I was expecting it to close softly too but it doesn't - it's the opposite - it sort of pulls it shut.
The instructions are hard to decipher - but is it likely I've installed it incorrectly or do these piston lid stays not soft close? Are there piston lid stays or similiar that soft close (would like the children to be able to use it).
Cheers
Gidon

p4041846_x.jpg

Just thinking about that sort of gas strut on my Golf estate, it also "pulls" the lid shut when it's nearly closed. I'd assumed this was because it went "over centre" just before it was closed, so that the spring effect is then pushing down rather than up. If you see what I mean....
So possibly re-positioning the mountings could avoid this?

Just thinking about that sort of gas strut on my Golf estate, it also "pulls" the lid shut when it's nearly closed. I'd assumed this was because it went "over centre" just before it was closed, so that the spring effect is then pushing down rather than up. If you see what I mean....
So possibly re-positioning the mountings could avoid this?

I had that same problem (over-centre) when I first fitted the one on my toybox, but moving the ends sorted it out - Now that I've got it adjusted correctly, the piston reaches it's shortest point when the lid is closed. It perfectly counterbalances the weight of the lid so that you have to push it down to close it gently into place - there's no chance of it slamming on little fingers.

Andy - yes it is designed for overhead cupboards - may be the problem. But still expected it to soft close. Thanks for the link.
Dick, Fecn - not exactly sure wha you mean - but will experiment with position this weekend. (Although a little reluctant to be drilling more holes in the oak!) Are you saying that both ends of the piston cycle should have resitance - ie soft open and close? And than the way I have it it's not full closing the piston??
Cheers
Gidon

gidon":4hdtdzfk said:
Dick, Fecn - not exactly sure wha you mean - but will experiment with position this weekend. (Although a little reluctant to be drilling more holes in the oak!) Are you saying that both ends of the piston cycle should have resitance - ie soft open and close? And than the way I have it it's not full closing the piston??
Cheers
Gidon
Sorry, didn't explain very clearly. What I <think> happens with the tailgate struts is that they give a relatively constant push, but the positioning is such that the strut is at its shortest just <before> the lid is closed. And the angle is such that after it's gone past that shortest point, it's pushing <down> rather than up.
But that's just my theory :)

Back