Pillar Drill Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OPJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Not as sophisticated as Steve Maskery's effort in British Woodworking recently however, I'm pleased with what I've achieved in the last day or so. Not sure whether this actually constitutes to being a jig, but hey...! :D

3452353133_2a738c15c6.jpg

Made from 25mm MDF I sourced via. Freecycle last year.

3453169174_647f98e4a5.jpg

I've kept the fence fairly simple to begin with. I may laminate the front face with Formica and then notch out around the chuck and make some allowance for the swing of the handles (I though a 60mm tall fence would be short enough! :roll:). There is, however, a 6mm hole to store my chuck key! :D

3452353343_ccb4cc99c4.jpg

The removable insert plate (12mm MDF) is situated slightly off-centre so you can rotate it to use each of the four corners (on both sides! :wink:) before having to replace it. 20mm holes in each corner allow for easy removal.

3452353735_64ff63a48f.jpg

Another little home for my chuck key is found with the aid of this thin magnet I found somewhere... Probably off that cheap magnetic light which stopped working.

:)

I keep meaning to make a table for my pillar drill, especially after reading Steve's article in BWW. I am glad I have not started yet, as your sacrificial insert and the chuck key holder are useful additions.

OPJ, great addition to your pillar drill. This is a comment not a criticism but you might have been better to make the sacrificial insert round, that will give a larger number of "clean" surfaces instead of just four.

Fair comment, Shutzy. :) One of the reasons I wouldn't have done this is because I don't have a jig for cutting small circles... Although, a circle
cutting jig for my disc sander is somewhere on my to-do list! :roll:

I do see your point and I'll definitely consider that for the next one.

Thanks, guys. :)

Latest posts

Back