Pillar drill identification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krysstel

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all :D

Can anyone identify what make this pillar drill is ?
At a guess it's early 60's, maybe earlier. BTH motor.

Thanks for any help :wink:

Mark

Attachments

• 334_279786800.jpg
    334_279786800.jpg
    825.8 KB · Views: 447
  • 334_423169551.jpg
    334_423169551.jpg
    673.7 KB · Views: 448
  • 334_1998741380.jpg
    334_1998741380.jpg
    672.6 KB · Views: 447
Thats some arc of shame! I dont recognise it - is the square pulley cover cast? Most old Brit drills of that era have curved tops - meddings, elliot, union etc. Don't think its any of those.

I think it may be a Qualters and Smith - they are the only ones I can find with a similar boxy cast pulley cover. Can't find one that looks exactly like yours though Mark.

I don't think I've seen one like that before, I don't really recognise any of the castings at all either. It looks very solidly made but it also seems a little crude in places with lumpy looking castings, especially along the top edge of the main head where the lid sits.

I really do like the artwork on the front :)

Just when you think you've seen em all, there's another... No idea but thanks for sharing. I would say definitely at least 60s. The key characteristic (for looking through google images and such) would appear to be the pattern of voids in the table.

I think you need to look at european, possibly german manufacturers.

That motor might be a BTH, but its designed for 200/220 volts. back in pre EU times. the UK had 240 volts, which would have blown that motor.

Bearing in mind that the plug on the end of the lead is european, my money is on german, in the 50's, after they started to rebuild from the war.

Thanks for all the great answers guys :)

I should probably have said that the drill is advertised for sale here in Norway and not something I own myself, yet :)
I assumed, since it had a British motor on it, and someone has stuck a union jack on it, that it was probably British made. But Sunnybob's point about 220 vs 240V and it being German is more than likely correct.
It's for sale at a good price but it's a 3 hour round trip to look at it. Should I bother ?

Cheers
Mark

Theres something about it that smells of ex MOD tooling. not sure if it's the colour (which is the same lovely santised shade of green in the inside of a mobile workshop was painted), the 220v (generator output from a PTO) or red name plate (same as every bit of machinery ever to come of base). Also, the painting the inside of the top red, which I'm told was for 2 reasons, 1, you could see the top was open from the back door as you decamped 2, Rupert could see from a glance who was doing something they shouldn't (run with the guard up).

Adding that to the motor, which is almost certainly american made (check out the factory history), best guess is its a late 40s early 50s German army on the rhine machine. It could actually be all american, with the British flag on there purely for reference in the workshops. Guessing games are fun arent they?

Latest posts

Back