pigeon hole shelf unit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manny

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

A friend has asked me to build a pigeon hole shelf unit like this (see below) with approx. 20 compartments about 175mmH x 175mmW x 150mmD in pine - she wants to fix it to the wall but be able to take it apart.

I've not had experience of building using this type of joint, has anyone done this kind of thing and was it successful?
Pigeon hole pic.jpg

Thanks

Attachments

• Pigeon hole pic.jpg
    Pigeon hole pic.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 433
I used that technique to make a unit with 100 compartments, made a jig for the router, verticals and horizontals exactly the same.

I've used that joint too, to make a unit for storing vinyl records

IMHO You should organise the continuous edges at the front to be the horizontal ones for the support, to prevent deflection/breaking during use, unless you go for the better option of adding housings/dadoes [terminology?] to support the shelves full depth. HTH

Thanks for the replies.

I'm wondering if this will be strong / stable enough without glue and if the joints will loosen up overtime.

Should not be too bad as wood shrinks mostly across the grain. The problem I predict is applying the finish such that when it it taken apart that it can be put back together without showing tell tale marks. Applying finish first prior to assembly will need great skill to achieve tight enough joints.

The customer is of course always right but you could also try mentioning the consequences of their aspirations!

Hi, I recently made one which is in 2 halves and has 130 holes. It's made from 9mm mdf mr and 18mm sides. To be honest I should have made it from 6mm as it is exceedingly heavy however it is a sturdy unit. I cut my groves on the table saw and used and interlocking pattern as per you photo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg