Piercing Bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I need some piercing bits for my Axminster multi tool. The only ones I can think of is the Mick Hanbury set, but his site says he's sold out.

Anyone know which are best?

Ta

What size collet do you have? Mick's bits are imported dental bits if I remember correctly and you can get them from a dental suppliers online but the shafts tend to be a lot smaller, usually 1.6mm. You need the diamond ones, not the steel ones which burn the wood. DAMHIK

Pete

Cheers Pete. I think the supplied collet is 3.2mm Will check out those dental bits..

Take a look at ebay item 140271683808 - I bought a pack of these tungsten carbide dental burrs a while back and found some of the shapes very useful for texturing - but the selection also includes cylindrical shaped ones that should work for piercing (ie side-cutting) although I've not had reason to try these as yet.

They are very cheap, nice and small for fine detail, and fit a dremel collet.

They are actually cutters, rather than burrs and the cylindrical ones look like tiny milling cutters. I've not found they burn the wood (although it's worth experimenting with the speed control on your dremel-type tool, as I've found there seems to be an optimum speed for cleanest cut depending on the wood you are using) and the ball & dovetail shaped ones I've tried for texturing make really nice clean cuts rather than tearing the wood.

The only downside is that being tungsten carbide they will chip & break very easily if knocked against something hard (like part of a lathe!) so you need to be somewhat careful when putting the dremel down with one installed in the collet.

Kym

Thanks Kym. I actually bought some bits that Richard Kennedy recommended from Sheesto. They are similar to the ones you posted. I will save them for next time. That's if I get on with piercing. ;)

I got these from Axminster several years back. 50 various tungsten drills and burs for £15.

Crochet3.jpg

They are ex-Silly-cone Valley electronic jobs and resharpened and sold on. They are really good but as has been said they are a bit fragile.

If your Dremel type drill has the same collet thread as a Dremel then you can get a chuck for it that should take the smaller shafts. Here it is http://www.dremel.com/en-au/Attachments ... x?pid=4486

I tend to use my Dremel with it hung on a stand and fitted with a flex drive. That's got a chuck on it as well. I made the stand in about 5 mins.

Thanks Jon. I'll be using mine with a flexi drive.... When it's delivered ;)

Latest posts

Back