pictures of first turnings (2 natural edge goblets added)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeithS

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Just had a lathe 3 or 4 weeks now and only managed some mushrooms at the moment so thought i,d share with you.
First few attempts loked like this and worse
DSCF0507.jpg

After a couple of weeks and much much wood i get this
DSCF0505.jpg

DSCF0506.jpg

A step in the right direction I think. This weekend a cup of sorts I hope.

Keith

hi keith
very nice set of mushrooms there, i still love to mess around doing this sort of thing, its easy and the reward if great.
I really like to cut them from Yew, if you can get a a nice piece they look stunning.
keep up the good work..

Just to be awkward I think I prefer the first two :lol:

That's partly because of the spalting which is really effective and partly because I prefer the matt finish. Having said that they are all pretty good if they are your first turnings. Mushrooms aren't quite as easy as everyone thinks to get right and you have done great with all of these

pete

Hi Keith,
Well done, some nice mushrooms there! Looks like you are getting to grips with the final finish.
Look forward to the next items :lol:

Malc :D

Hi Keith

There is a deffinate improvemnt in your turning from the first to the last pictures shown. Pete has a fondness for "Rustic" and those first ones certainly are that :wink:

Keep up the good work

Richard

I like all of those and the different finishes too. As has been said they are not the easiest things to do and get right and you have got it right.

Just one thing and that is that when turning spalted wood it is very important to wear a good dust mask. The spalting comes off as a dust and the fungus is not good for you at all

I remember going to the Glouster club a few times and the second time I took a heavily spalted beech goblet which I thought, still think, is lovely. The only comment from the bloke at the front when he picked it up was a VERY curt "I hope the bloke who turned this thing has a good mask". Good encouragement for a newcommer? I didn't go many more times!

Back on theme.. I look forward to seeing the cup!

Nice Keith,

The later ones are definitely an improvement, although i do very much like the natural edges base if your first ones, ..............

Loz

Thanks all for the kind comments. The pictures of the first ones really do make them much better looking than they are. Sooooooo addictive this wood turning lark.

Hi
Another couple of turning I did, the oak goblet last weekend and the pine yestarday,
DSCF0519.jpg

DSCF0516.jpg

DSCF0518.jpg

DSCF0517.jpg

[/img]
These where real fun to do but the bark on the pine did give me some problems.
Thanks
Keith

Looks like we have another 'rustic' turner on the site. Getting the stems that thins hows a lot of tool control, especially with pine. Keeping the bark on is also not easy so you are really doing well with these. Looks like you have got some distortion in the stems though. That hap[pens if the wood is a bit green still and turned thin. I have quite few that have gone like that.

pete

Well done they're superb :wink: is it the finish or the turning that makes the first look like elm and the second look like yew?

Back