Picket Planters - WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OPJ

Established Member
Reaction score
While I haven't taken as many WIP photos as I would've done for almost any previous project, I have mostly been documenting this one in video format, as part of an on-going YouTube 'experiment' (I will post here once the first video on this one is up).

I recently bought a job lot of 3x3in pressure-treated softwood, which was advertised locally on a couple of websites:

5891546585_13a390fe89_z.jpg

He was offering thirty-two length, each about 4ft long (they appeared to be 2.4m lengths cut in half) for only £40. That in itself seemed like a great deal, considering that I'd expect to pay £3-4 a length for the same stuff brand new. So, you can probably imagine how I felt when he accepted my offer of £30 in cash! :cool:

I knew exactly what I wanted to do with this wood as well - to make some garden planters in the style of a round-top picket fence! (Whether I actually get around to planting anything in them, well, I'm not making any promises...! ;-))

5892114174_b9e58047db_z.jpg

My first job, a fortnight ago, was to resaw much of this stock in to 22mm thicknesses which could be used for the pickets and rails. I ordered another Supertuff Fastcut blade from Ian at Tuff Saws some time ago (probably last year!) and, as this was the first time I'd used it, the blade cut through each length like the proverbial 'hot knife through butter'... When I get around to sorting out the videos, I think it will speak volumes for what this blade can do. ;-)

After leaving the wood for another wood, allowing it some time to 're-acclimatise' to my workshop and do whatever it likes (in this case, not much at all!), I set about making a jig to round-top every picket and post. I started by making a replica of Steve Maskery's circle-cutting jig, which is so simple to make and yet, so effective once set up correctly. One limitation of my bandsaw (Startrite 401e) is that, with such a narrow width of table to the right of the blade, I'd be restricted to cutting circles with a maximum radius of about 220mm... Not that I'd expect to do that sort of work very often.

5946312969_b02b25f590_z.jpg

On this occasion though and, after a few test cuts, I was looking for a radius of about 1½in (I think I settled on 40mm), which was just about achievable with a 3/8in wide blade (another Tuff Saws purchase!) after rounding off the back edges. On top of Steve's jig, I added a simple 90° fixture in to which I could fit a stack of pickets or one post and, with a bit of care, round over the top of each with precision.

5946313171_edd5d8b81b_z.jpg

Considering the fact that I was using a blade with 3tpi (Ian's recommendation), the finish was very good. I would've probably gone for 4tpi otherwise but, given the 'wet' nature of this treated wood, that may not have been the best selection, given the thickness of stock I was looking to cut (70mm posts or 3 x 22mm pickets).

5946868666_29f0a305ba_z.jpg

My only negative view with regards to Steve's jig is that it potentially makes the dust extraction on your bandsaw less effective. Although, on the other hand, you could argue that more could be done to implement something setup above the table.

5946869086_e4b3dd5f67_z.jpg

All the bare-faced tenons on the ends of each rail were cut on the bandsaw (aside from the shoulders, which were cut on the mitre saw using the depth stop - and, of course, the mitred ends!). If the angles look a bit strange, it's because I chose to bevel the top edge of each rail by 10° on the table saw, so that rainwater is encouraged to run off and not to sit or creep in behind the pickets, which could otherwise lead to problems with rot later on.

5946868912_7e872f991d_z.jpg

Managed to get all the pickets (only fifty) attached to both planters in about ninety minutes. I know I could've done the job much faster with a decent nail gun (even allowing for time spent messing around with the camera) but, we use what we have available.

5964943466_50c77e2ca4_z.jpg

You should be able to see how and where spacers played their part in this - there's one underneath to see the clearance from the floor and a collection of others (each about 1in wide) that sit in between each picket.

Originally, I was thinking of nailing these in place - but, I don't like the appearance of round wire nails and galvanised lost heads are very hard to find. I almost went for these stainless annular ring shanks on eBay (they length would've made things a bit tricky!). Not only were they comparatively expensive against the cost of two boxes of screws but, hammering nails (ring shanks, as well!) in to an 'open' frame structure would've been difficult, to say the very least. Had I sorted this out beforehand, I might have attached the pickets before assembling the frames.

5964943628_722a6244c7_z.jpg

I still haven't made my mind up over how I'm going to finish these planters... I've gone off the idea of painting or staining them a certain colour. Perhaps I should got with a clear finish? Maybe even an oil? I do have a big bucket of Osmo UV hiding somewhere...

Any opinions from anyone?

5964943750_1c35e0eb22_z.jpg

Clearly, I'll need to get these two out of the way (literally!) before I can move on to anything else. One thing I've really enjoyed about this project though... NO SANDING!!! :-D

(...Well, okay. I admit that I lightly went over the posts with my belt sander as they were otherwise in stark contrast against the Supertuff finish on the pickets... ;-))

More to follow shortly, as I come to fit the base boards.

Thanks for reading so far. :)

Got the base boards fitted over the weekend which, while providing great allowance for excess water to drain away, also happens to dramatically increase the weight of each planter - particularly the larger one! ;-)

5966845985_ee680bca09_z.jpg

As I carelessly forgot to cut these boards at the beginning, I had to dig out a couple more lengths of 3x3in and rip them down on the bandsaw - again, using the same Supertuff Fastcut blade as before. It's not as sharp as it was but, it's still going relatively strong, considering the thickness I'm cutting and resinous nature of this "unseasoned" pine.

5966846189_237a096f2d_z.jpg

Each board is again fixed in place with stainless steel screws, driven in from below so that water is less likely to creep in around the screws.

I'm leaning towards the idea of painting or staining these planters now, as I think there's too much of a contrast between the different sawn finishes to warrant trying to use a clear finish. I did buy some cheap Ronseal fence paint (5lt for less than £9) the other day and, as the instructions state it's fine for use around plants, I may well go with it. It's 'forest green' in colour, which is fine with me.

5966846605_dea44a7a37_z.jpg

This was a large tin of Osmo UV oil that I've probably had for a good two-years now... :oops: You can also see that I've barely use it! And, that most of what's left has basically gone off... Hopefully, I can still recover some of this (perhaps by decanting it in to smaller containers) and save it for future projects.

5966847297_1ff3635f82_z.jpg

...Why did I buy such a large tin?!? :roll:

All going well, I hope to have some photos of the painted/stained planters over the weekend. :)

looking good, nice project, just mix the oil well will be fine, maybe some timber treatment would be better though, something that soaks in rather than sit ontop?

Back