Piano style locks for a lid

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidE

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I've just been looking for a piano lid style lock for the lid of the sound desk I am working on.

I found this lock from an US website
31948-01-200.jpg

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=655

I then started looking through UK websites for something similar...

I think this one from Issac Lord is the same idea? (and with a nice mortice cover.
http://www.isaaclord.co.uk/productDetail.aspx?product=217&subCat=20&parentCat=1/20

Before I go ahead and get one of these I wondered if anyone had used this lock, or knew of other UK websites which had similar things.

Thanks, best regards
David

Thanks Dave, I've e-mailed them asking the price. It's amazing how ornate the keys are on this type of lock. Having thought about it that's fine - I was hoping to find one with a more plain lock

Thanks
David

David
Have you tried your local locksmith? If you want something plain, I would have thought that an ordinary box lock would do nicely. Or am I missing something?
S

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. Good point about the local locksmith (I'd have to work out who that was mind! :D ) I'm quite happy for it to be ornate (looking - was hoping for simpler keys though for spares), I'd just like to weigh all the options up first.

I'm confused what you mean by box lock? I need something that expands into a mortice to stop it being pulled up like on a piano. Have you got a link to a box lock?

Cheers
David

Steve, -ahhr excellent I see what you mean now. They look pretty good. I'd have to put the lock in the desk on that style to avoid having the catch bits sticking up.

Chipp thanks for your link too - The Hafele website is annoying as it throws direct links out. I managed to find the lock and it looks possible too.

Thanks for all the suggestions - I am going to look at the detail of the lid tomorrow and will probably decide on the most suitable lock.

Thanks

David

Latest posts

Back