Photos into line art

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevebuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi does anyone know of any software that can turn a photo or picture into line art , I need to be able to it like a pencil drawing rather than a photo..

T I A

i use photoshop all the time, you need to adjust a lot of settings to produce the picture. Here's one i done but didnt really take a lot of time over tbh

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 1,208
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 1,208
Jacob":2jj3hrgu said:
pencil + tracing paper

Used to do this Jacob but its not always easy to see detail in the shadows, but now i use tracedown, just needed line art to follow..

Hi Sporky McGuffin
I use Inkscape and would be interested to know how to do line drawings with it ------ Please

Right. It's in The Inkscape Beginner's Guide, which I got from Amazon.

Open the bitmap image into an Inkscape document. Select it, go to Path/Trace Bitmap

The suggested initial settings are Single Scan, Brightness Cutoff: Threshold 0.450, then into Options, Suppress Speckles: Size 2, Smooth Corners: Threshold 1.00, Optimize paths Tolerance 0.20

Then hide the original bitmap and off you go.

Sporky McGuffin":20d92g7j said:
Right. It's in The Inkscape Beginner's Guide, which I got from Amazon.

Open the bitmap image into an Inkscape document. Select it, go to Path/Trace Bitmap

The suggested initial settings are Single Scan, Brightness Cutoff: Threshold 0.450, then into Options, Suppress Speckles: Size 2, Smooth Corners: Threshold 1.00, Optimize paths Tolerance 0.20

Then hide the original bitmap and off you go.

Could you (please) apply that to the sample upthread, for comparison?

BugBear

Right - from those settings we get this - not great.

path3094.png

Changing to edge detect we get this, better:

path3092.png

Could probably do better with more time/effort, but the latter isn't bad for 10 minutes including uploading to FTP.

Sporky McGuffin":35lzuf81 said:
Right - from those settings we get this - not great.

path3094.png

Changing to edge detect we get this, better:

path3092.png

Could probably do better with more time/effort, but the latter isn't bad for 10 minutes including uploading to FTP.

Interesting (and thank you!). I think both versions are good, depending on the final purpose.

BugBear

Latest posts

Back